stanley #55

I'm a bottom feeder, and proud of it! Didn't pay too much for my #45..but got a chance to pick up a #55 w/ box and 2 of the sets of cutters box 1 and box 4...for $225. Question is does it seem like a good deal..I've looked on the bay, maybe $300 with all blades. What do you guys think?

walt q in cold Connecticut

Reply to
walt

Anthony Diodati

According to John Walter a #55 by itself is $50-$200, cutters are $5-$10 each. You could check Kean to see what he thinks, with net prices factored in. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

It would be a good deal to buy it and resale it on e-bay,as a woodworking tool what a PITA to use.........

Reply to
martin

When I was poor, I used a 55 in anger for the rebates and housings in a complete set of fitted wardrobes. I still have both the wardrobes and the

55, but I would never again consider using such a dog of a tool in anything but the most mild and straight-grained wood. It's a bitch in knotty pine. I have several routers now, but, even if I hadn't, I'd walk a country mile to avoid using the 55 again. And that's from a neander!

Cheers,

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:29:23 GMT, "walt" brought forth from the murky depths:

That's not too bad a price for a c*ll*ct*r. You weren't going to do anything really silly like try to -use- it, were you?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ten years ago I bought a mint condition #55 at an auction, and paid a lot more than that for it (still had the original cardboard box and wooden box for cutters - complete). Afterwards, I called a few collectors to "gloat". One of them, a nationally recognized dealer, said that 55's were almost always either mint, or well used. His theory was that people bought them, discovered how difficult they were to use, gave up, and put them back into the box... or fell in love with them and used them all the time. Mine has basically stayed in the box!

Jim Ray, President McFeely's Square Drive Screws

Jim Ray