Do they deserve to stay in business.

Page 2 of 2
I am a former employee of Walmart, and I seen them break up "packs" on numerous occasions, usually after Christmas. They would "add" a UPC if necessary, and then adjust the inventory on the computer. Not rocket science. But I could see where a smaller business wouldn't want to get stuck with a bunch of "widgets" that weren't in big demand. Just my 2 cents!
ToolMiser wrote:

Yes, also as a former employee of Wal-Mart, I still maintain that they would not do this as a matter of course. It was always done en masse, at the end of some promo, in a carefully controlled manner. Not a one-off, on-demand operation just to placate one person's whining about the dearth of sput wax.

In some instances that might be true, but in this case all three items were identical to other items they sold individually. And their cash register must have an easy way to correct inventories.
I know for a fact HD will do stuff like this. I bought a closeout transfer switch and found it was defective. I took it back, but all they had was kits. They took one out of a kit and replaced mine. They didn't have to think about it; they just did it. Say what you want about HD, they always come through.

You might check with any local builders in your area to see what lumber yards they use. Most lumber yards that deal regularly with contractors will have drawer guides and the more common hardware types in stock.
Mike O.
toller Wrote:

Well here in LaCrosse, WI, we don't have a store like Woodcraft, and would welcome them even if it was just so I had a place to stop in an dream once in a while. Nearest stores are at least three hours away and I do try to get in them when I have the chance. Catalogs an internet is fine, but it's really nice to see items in person, and t even bump into a person who has similar interests
-- toolmiser
toller Wrote:

There's a Woodcraft in the town where I live, and they are mor expensive that some of the borgs - but at the borgs just about the onl question the staff is able to answer is about deep frying french fries. At least at my local Woodcraft, the staff is very knowledgable and yo can always find someone to help you. Personally, I'm willing to pay little more for good service
-- makesawdust