The trick is to stay in business ... (slightly OT)

Following on from the thread on the Cwedit Cwunch where MH asked how it was affecting us all, here is a good example of how people don't help themselves.

On Saturday, I was doing a job in my kitchen that I am refitting, and needed a bit of bog standard planed 2x2. About a metre was enough. We have a hardware store / mini builder's yard in the village, that has always been owned from 'within' the village - until a few weeks ago. It has now been taken over by an 'outsider' ...

So I trot off down there and ask the spotty faced yoof in there for a metre of 2x2. He leads me towards the back (where you used to get led to go out the side door to the timber store, where a suitable sized piece of wood for your needs, would be found and priced up by holding a finger in the wind). Instead, he stops by a small rack containing at most, thirty 2.4m lengths of assorted sizes. I asked him if that was all they had got now, and he told me that he thought so. I found a length of 2x2 and asked if I could have just a metre, as the whole length was priced at an eye-watering £5.50. At this point the new owner sidles up and asks if he can help. I told him that he could, by cutting me off a metre of the wood. "Oh no", he sez, "I can't do that because it will leave me with an offcut that nobody wants, and I will lose money on it." "What, no one like me will want it ?" sez I. "I only need a metre." "Well, have the whole piece", he sez, "and then you'll have some left over for the next time." "What, at £5.50 ? I don't think so. I'll leave it, thanks."

Now being in business myself, I know all about dead stock, and losing money on it, but sometimes, it has to be considered as 'good will' stock. It was the third time I had been in the shop in as many weeks, so he should have recognised me as a 'regular' customer - we're only talking a village here, remember. That length of timber cannot have cost him more than about £1.50 wholesale, even in the relatively small quantities that he is buying it in, otherwise, he's being ripped off by his supplier. He could have said to me that he would cut me a piece off, but he would have to charge me a couple of quid for it, in case he got left with the other 1.4m on his hands. Chances are I would have taken him on that offer for the convenience. Instead, by adopting the attitude that he did, he has now lost a customer, as I wouldn't now give him my money, if he begged me into his shop. If he carries on like this, especially in a village, he won't last long, and doubtless, he will then be bleating that the reason his business failed, was that he didn't have enough customers, due to the credit crunch.

I made the 8 mile round trip to B&Q and got a 2.4m length of planed studding that they had on offer for £1.98 (the actual size was not important as it was only to be used as corner bracing for a plinth I was building). At the end of the day, I don't care that it probably cost me the £5.50 in lost time and petrol, and that I put out enough CO2 to kill off a species of Bolivian tree frog, it's the principle of the thing.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I'm a great fan of independant shops myself Arfa, I have a page on my site dedicated to them

find them geographically handy for a start, if I'm working on the Grain penisular a trip to B&Q or Wickes can take an hour with the traffic around here, so the shop in Hoo is realy useful. Its also handy that they will supply short lengths of timber, waste pipe etc - not so much worried about cost because my customer pays, but I don't want my workshop clogged up with 'useful' offcuts.

Home & Garden in Rochester is great for timber, good quality, properly stored, they will sell you a foot of something. Johnsons is an Aladdin's Cave for hardware, everything you could want & they will sell you 1 bolt if you want it.

Thats how they stay in business as you say, don't think the shop you described has got a hope in hell.

All of these shops have a pile of my cards & recommend me if anyone asks. Interestingly, they all asked for them, they see it as another service they can offer.

I just hope they all survive the Cwunch.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes indeed, Dave. This one is called a " xxx Home and Garden" as well, and has been like you say for as long as I can remember. It had a counter right in the middle of the store, a screw and fixings 'cave' up one corner, where you helped yourself, and then showed and told them what you'd got in the brown paper bag provided, and a pet food bit up the other corner. Now, the centre counter has gone, and only the one in the petfood bit is still there. The petfood has diminished considerably. The screw cave has been moved to the side of the back bit up the three steps, and although they are still loose, the range has gone down, and I get the feeling that it's just until they run out. Then it'll be little bags ...

The new guy has filled the place up with barbecue stoves and garden furniture and the like, but with the best will in the world, he ain't gonna compete with the 'barns' on this sort of merchandise, or even the Co-op store up the road, who do a very nice range at very good prices.

He might think that he's turning it into a 21st century enterprise, but I think he's going to struggle, come winter, if that is his business model. Most of the local builders had an account with the previous owners, and you used to see their trucks all the time either out front or up the side in the yard. I can't imagine them paying that sort of money for timber. I'll have to give my mate a ring, and see what the building fraternity make of it all. He's 'village' born and bred. At 35 years, I'm still a 'newcomer' ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Any idea why the ownership changed ? Maybe the old business model was not working as well as you think. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Probably due to retirement of the previous owner?

The new business model doesn't seem to be working at all!

Reply to
Bruce

Yes, I have. And he did ok out of the sale. He's just decided to take it easy. As far as I can gather, he used to make a good enough living out of it, as did the previous owner, who is also a villager. He just got a bit old for being open 7 days a week. Like any business, I guess it just gets more of a struggle to keep motivated as you get older. Sometimes these days, I have to almost make myself turn the benches on in the morning ...

He had owned it for probably 20 years. Still, you could be right. Always hard to know the exact situation in these cases, but if the books were 'bad', then in the current financial and trading climate, the new owner would have had to be brave to sink his cash into it, in the fond hope that he could turn it around. Seems to be just him and his wife.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

In article , Arfa Daily scribeth thus

And has he any idea of running a business and especially dealing with Joe Public?..

Thats one thing that 20 years in the TV trade taught me there're best avoided;!.....

Reply to
tony sayer

Agreed. I too am in electronic service, having spent many years in TV, now more general stuff. For the last 20 years or more that I have 'done it for myself', I have carried out trade work only. You don't make quite as much money out of it, but then you don't have to suffer interfacing with the public ! As to whether the new guy has any idea of running a business, I really don't know. Many people think that it is easy, and is just a side issue of doing what you are actually qualified at, but I think that is a recipe for disaster. Someone in the business - be it yourself or your wife or whatever - has got to be reponsible for the commercial side of things. If you're not careful, your grand plan makes you a 'man in business', and not a 'businessman', and there's a world of difference in being a success ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Suds like you and he both need a lesson in cost benefit analysis.

The great thing about a cwedit cwunch is that crap businesses disappear.

Those that manage to reduce costs and do good work will stay.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A surprising number of people whose ambition is to "go into business" think that they have achieved their objective when they open the doors at 9:00 AM on Day 1.

Reply to
Bruce

Reply to
stuart noble

Where I live we have one decent hardware shop in the town center. The same man owned it for decades and managed to resist a B&Q opening a short distance away by knowing his business.

One of the main attractions of his shop was one of those large rotating multi-drawer cabinets that contained everything from brass screws to O rings, to strange bolts. The sort of stuff B&Q sell in blister packs for £2.50, and he sold for 40p. All loose and sold individually. Obviously a dead loss for sales but the secondary sales it generated were considerable from my own exposure to it.

The new guy takes over, the staff moan about having to handle 5 brass screws at the till, so he makes the decision to dump the cabinet.

Now he's wondering where his customers have gone.

Reply to
EricP

Ah!, yes thats going into business ... staying in business another matter entirely;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Arfa Daily" saying something like:

Here's another one - I just enquired about getting an O2 cell for my flue gas analyser. City Tech, who make them, are understandably reluctant to deal directly with end users, fair enough. I then called around and found a couple of suppliers, one recommended by CT. The CT recommended one was quite happy to send a single unit, not particularly cheaply, but nonetheless I am reasonably happy to pay it. Another supplier wouldn't even consider supplying me with less than 40 units. Going by what I recall of the last two recessions, I've a fair idea what one will still be in business in a couple of years. It was really noticeable then that some of the larger companies had suddenly woken up to the cumulative effect of all the small orders and started to go after them, indeed positively welcome them. I still deal with some of those companies now, because they took my orders then. If they hadn't I would never have gone back to them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In message , Arfa Daily writes

so buy Electronic Services Ltd and make your life complete

Reply to
geoff

Meaning ... ???

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Yup - many years ago we had a super hardware shop on the high street. Everything sold singly if you wanted - from that big nest of drawers. But he'd give you a good price on a full box too. Excellent advice also. Would recommend decent tradesman too. The chap running it wasn't old but sold up. Don't know why. A youngster and his wife took over - ripped out all the drawers - and replaced them with self service bubble packs at prices well above the sheds. And only lasted 6 months.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Arfa Daily writes

I'll sell you the Ltd company if you want it

Reply to
geoff

Ah, I see. Thanks, but no thanks. Don't need the hassle of being limited ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily