Do Silent Or Nearly Silent Air Compressors Exist For the Home Shop?

Page 2 of 2

I rented a Dewalt electric wheelbarrel type that was so quiet you could stand next to it and have a conversation at normal volume. Great technology as it runs up to 3 nailers(per the rental yard). It was an oil type and pretty heavy.
Down side: around $700. I recently bought a Job Boss by PC and since it was an oil type was hoping for quiet... no dice. It is LOUD!
RonT
John, Champion makes a 5 hp unit that is relatively quiet for the size. The commandair series. I worked for a local distributor and God service center for them. You can find out the distributor in your area. They were about 1800.00 but are oil lubed, repairable and easy maintenance for them. I am looking at an Atlas Copco rotary screw for my shop in the future. They are quiet and have a built in air dryer but run about 3500.00. The GX-5 is the unit I am looking at.

John wrote:

I have a 50 litre direct drive. I house it under a bench in the shed. I have made a cabinet to surround it with the doors and two ends panelled with 6mm peg board. The machine sits on 12mm insertion rubber on a concrete floor. When in the shed it is relatively quiet and from the outside you can hardly hear it. It is quite noisy when in the open. hope this helps regards John
John wrote:

for $150. It just chugs away quietly. Not silent, but not noisy. The first key is to avoid the direct drive types. I have had two, an oil-less and one that uses oil. Both make a racket and can scare the bejesus out of you if you are standing nearby when it starts up. Mine has a handle and wheels, but that is rather optimistic since it requires a 220 v. outlet.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

So far, nobody has answered the real question: "Sears kind", versus reasonably quiet.
The "Sears kind" are invariably "oil-free" or "oilless" compressors. Instead of a piston in a cylinder, lubed by oil, they have a diaphragm vibrating rapidly back and forth, with a *braaaaaaaaa* sound guaranteed to make grown men cry.
Get an oil-type. Even if you have to get Harbor Freight. Get cast iron requiring a top-off with 30W. Your neighbors (and your eardrums) will thank you.
Kevin
The scroll compressors used in refrigerators are pretty quiet, but don't generate a lot of volume or pressure.
John wrote:

[Blubber] I confused scroll with screw compressor. Disregard.
I have a new 5 hp Curtis that has a China made compressor that I DO NOT RECOMMEND. It is a quiet machine, I t has plenty of power, but the compressor was replaced on warranty as it had a lot of blow by, and would actually fog up my garage. The new one does not have as much blow by , but has fluid leaks !! Since it's Chinese maybe it would like Soy Sauce instead of compressor oil.......