Do dog holes wear out?

I want to put a shoulder vise with dog holes on my bench and figure I will just drill holes through the whole thing. As my bench is made of SPF-type material, do I have to worry about the dog holes wallowing out after a while and not holding the bench dogs? Should I drill a big hole and put a large-diameter dowel in, then drill the small hole for the bench dog? I've never used a shoulder vise or bench dogs before, so I don't have any empirical data. I do know, however, that my life could be a little nicer without having to move clamps in the middle of a cut.
Thanks, -Phil Crow
Phil Crow asks:

How about go right ahead and drill the correct-sized holes now: if they wear too much over time, then punch in a dowel or other plug and re-drill. Or line 'em with brass.
Charlie Self
"The income tax has made liars out of more Americans than golf." Will Rogers
IME, the holes on a dog last about as long as the dog himself. So I'd say they don't usually wear out.
--
Dennis M. O'Connor snipped-for-privacy@primenet.com