DIY bandsaw fence

I bought a Delta 12" bandsaw last year. I like the unit, and once I got the right blade for the job, I was off and running. I've been doing a lot of resawing and other work where I need a fence. Delta wants almost $100 for their fence, and other mfgrs run about the same. I've been just using a piece of 2" angle iron and a pair of C clamps, but I'd like something a little better - easier to use and adjust, and more accurately square. Has anyony built their own add-on fence? I did a google search and only found commercial ones in the first 50 or so hits before I gave up.
Dan wrote: I bought a Delta 12" bandsaw last year. I like the unit, and once I got the right blade for the job, I was off and running. I've been doing a lot of resawing and other work where I need a fence. Delta wants almost $100 for their fence, and other mfgrs run about the same. I've been just using a piece of 2" angle iron and a pair of C clamps, but I'd like something a little better - easier to use and adjust, and more accurately square. Has anyony built their own add-on fence? I did a google search and only found commercial ones in the first 50 or so hits before I gave up.
Just build your own. I've put an extension table on my little 14 inch Delta, through which a couple of slots were routed. A simple fence with accessories(like a resaw fence) isn't hard to make, and with a couple of wing nuts and toilet bolts, quite adjustable for drift. Tom
Ken Vaughn is your guy for do-it-yourself add-ons...
He built a great bandsaw fence...
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/jigs.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/other.html
Dan Major wrote:

Yup.
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65/t_square.jpg
is just the sort of thing I'm lookin for. One qyrstion - why have the track go on *both* sides of the blade? Is it necessary, or just convenient? My shop is very small/cramped and I keep jetting poked in the back every time I turn around.

You'll get more than fifty hits in the first couple of months from the rails the commercial rigs ride on. Ad-hoc fences and those sliding vice-grip clamps are great. Not least of all because you take them off when you don't need them.
Use a set of brass bars or the Lee Valley aluminum for your setup. Tap in the desired direction with a mallet for micro adjustment.

I use a plywood fence, 2 pieces the length of the table, glued with block to make a 90 degree angle, one piece rides on the table, the other is upright to support the wood..
As I learned from charlie's site:
Find a foot long piece of hard board with at least one square edge..
Mark a line parallel to the square edge, cut along the line, 1/2 way through the hardboard..
Stop the saw without moving the hardboard..
Make a pencil line on your table with the square edge of the hardboard..
This is the angle or off set you want to clamp your fence at to cut a straight line while holding stock against the fence..
Or, you can spend a few hundred bucks on a fancy resawing fence setup.. YMMV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Dan Major wrote:

About two weeks ago, McFreelys was selling Kreig BS fences, supposedly discontinued models, for around $50. I ordered one and then sent me what appears to be the same blue and black anodized one that normally retails for $100+. There were some almost invisible scuffs on one part, but I suspect this was a lot of blems. For $50, it wasn't worth it to make anything.
Dan Major wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Resawing1.html
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/ResawTableDetails.html