Disc sander with perpendicular miter slot?

Delta's 31-280 disc/belt sander has a perpendicular miter slot along with the standard parallel miter slot.

The perpendicular miter slot is used with a center point to sand circles.

The 31-280 has recently been discontinued. Has anyone seen any other disc sander with a perpendicular miter slot? I can order the center point from Delta.

I could still find a new or reconditioned 31-280 from old stock, but I don't really want to pay $700 to $850 if there is an alternative.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Brian, I have a Jet 12" disc sander. It has both miter slots and comes with the adjustable center point. It is a well made tool that gets a lot of use with wood and metal. About $350 with stand and filter. I bought mine for $250 without the stand and filter. If you must have a belt/disc combination your going to spend $800 or so for a quality machine. Of course the Harbor Fright boys will chime in soon. Dave

Why is HF OK and Sears not? Hummm

TeamCasa

Which model of Jet sander? I looked at their web site and did not see a disc sander with the center point. At this time I don't have the need or money for a combo disc/belt sander.

I looked at Sears, General International, Jet, Shop Fox, Grizzly, and Extrema USA and didn't see any disc or disc/belt sanders with the center point.

I didn't check Harbor Freight, but I'm not sure I would buy any of their tools.

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Okay, I found the Jet disc sander on Amazon.com, but it isn't on Jet's web site. I also noticed that Powermatic makes a unit with the center point that isn't on the Powermatic web site either.

Is there any reason not to buy the Jet belt/disc sander for $299 that has the center point too? No reason to pay $250 for a disc sander if I can get both for $50 more.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

You can clamp a piece of plywood to any sufficiently sturdy table or home-made jig holder. All that's needed thereafter is the center point.

I use my JET 12" disc 48 belt with the same type of shop-made jig you can find in almost any bandsaw book, Mine're made so the sander's diameter is

1/8 less than the bandsaw. Slides >
Reply to
George

Brian, The $299 on is a 9" disc.