Did I do good?

Coming home from work last night, I noticed a really tatty sign on the roadside saying "Hardwood sale". It was too late to call in then so I went this morning to see what was what. It turns out that my local hardwood dealer has gone bust and two guys have bought the rights to clear the place out. Small van load 25 ($38), big van load 50 ($72) After sorting it all out, my small van load came out at 186 board ft, 140 b/ft of it was african mahogany/sapele/iroko and the other 46 b/ft was american white oak and ash. Boards are all shorts up to 7ft and up to 17" wide. So did I do good and have I got a gloat here
Mike
On 6/14/2013 1:53 PM, Mike Stanford wrote:

Greene and Greene furniture and start building. The ebony will probably cost as much as the mahogany. green(e) with envy, jo4hn
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 21:53:17 +0100, Mike Stanford wrote:

I make that out to be about .20 a bd/ft for the 186. Shout from the highest hill Mike. You did a lot more than good.
Paul T.
On 6/14/2013 4:53 PM, Mike Stanford wrote:

Really african Mahogany and Sapele??? You SUCKKKKKK
Where is this sale? I want some.
--
Jeff

Holmes of Lincoln Units 1-2, Sadler Road, Doddington Road, LINCOLN LN6 3RS Lincolnshire United Kingdom
Call in for a cuppa after you've been there
Mike
On 6/15/2013 6:32 AM, Mike Stanford wrote:

--
Jeff

Mike Stanford wrote:

Spendthrift, I bet you didn't even haggle. :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
"Mike Stanford" wrote:

I don't want to pee on your parade, but I've had ONE experience with "African Mahogany" and that was TWO (2) too many; however, the white oak and ash saved the deal for you.
"African Mahogany" is a total PITA to sand out and for that reason alone, I run away from it.
IMHO, "African Mahogany" doesn't even make good pallet wood. It certainly couldn't be used as a substitute for Honduras Mahogany in a marine application.
I'm trying to remember the guy from the UK on this list who gave me some useful insight into the "African Mahogany" found in the UK.
Maybe you will have better luck than I did with "African Mahogany" .
I sure hope so.
Lew
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 17:46:32 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

NICE. - assuming you are talking about Khaya, or Acajou Afzelia africana, or Pod Mahogany - locally known as Doussi or Lenke - is West African Mahogany and was used extensively for ship building in the past and is used to make Djembe - African drums. Common in Burkina, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Ghana, Mali, and Senagal regions.
Khaya makes very nice furniture. Quarter cut, it is zebra striped. You need real good SHARP tools

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

What about the "mahogany/sapele/iroko" mentioned in the first post?
Lew
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 19:25:05 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

Sapele is also miserable to work with - it has a tight "curly" grain - very beautiful when finished - Makes BEAUTIFUL guitars (Taylor uses it)
Iroko is "african teak". Very much like real teak, but not quite as dimensionally stable. - locally known as Kambala - works easily compared to the others, but the dust can be NASTY - and some people even react to touching it when freshly cut.
Both sapele and kambala discolour in contact with iron - similar to some Oaks.

No, that sucks and you will need to return that American oak and ash back here to me in the USA. :-)