Dewalt router problem

Page 2 of 2
On 10/15/2011 3:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: > > > Last couple of month have been a lot to deal with. Continuing > problems with health of both parents have been a huge drain.
You have been missed.
I think all the boomer crowd is either facing or going through many similar things. The work thing is a real nut buster for a great many folks in the building industry.
The family stuff is a tough pull for people with resources, and god help the poor crowd.
My wife just got her first new "knee" and it is making me crazy trying to deal with her and get any work done.
The vet stuff is wonderful and I'm sure glad some folks got the guts to do it.
Hope it gets better.....

Thanks, Pat. I don't see you around too much anymore, either. We should make a concerted effort to make this a woodworking group again, no?

All too true. I am not going down a path many have not walked before, but my particular problem is that my folks did NOTHING to prepare for their later years. I had to clean out their house (run down from years of old, sick people living in it) put it on the market and sell it. I have had to monitor their ongoing health issues such as 2 years ago my father (then at 83) falling and breaking his back in 4 places after finishing his cancer surgery. And last year several of my Mom's teeth fell out.
Then there was no valid will. No DNRs. No powers of attorney of any type. No financial plan at all. No long term plan for the survivor of the two in the event of demise of the other. Working through the maze of Medicare, co pays, doctor visits, and on an on along with their always changing situation has been a time hole.

Or worse, the crowd that does not have a personal advocate. I have moved my Dad twice from care facilities that have pronounced his time up, and have tried to install him in hospice to make his remaining time comfortable. That crap started almost three years ago. If you don't have someone in your corner and you are old and sick, they are ready to sweep you out with the rest of the expired stuff without another thought.

Hey, that's the good stuff. While some of our members feel too much pain to actually interface with the guys that are really "banged up", they miss the boat. Most of the wounded troopers want nothing more than to be treated as normal guys, talked to like men, and NOT to talk about their injuries. At our last dinner I had a lot of fun talking to the troopers and their families as they come from all over the USA for our medical facilities that serve all branches.
I had a spirited conversation with a young man about the age old "Kansas City Barbecue vs. Texas Barbecue" debate that was only able to see out of one eye. He of course was for KC, but I think I held my own. He was quiet and reserved for the dinner, but at the end of the he made it a point to come see me and tell me how good the barbecue was to him, although not like home. That put a smile on my face, and he was pleased with himself (a young man in his early 20s) for teasing me.

It will.
Thanks to you and everyone else for their good wishes. I haven't seen this many old faces here in some time. Good to hear from everyone.
Robert

I feel for you, Robert ... those are some tough emotions to deal with.
Mom is in advanced stages of dementia and in a nursing home in Brenham (it just got too much for my 88 year old Dad to take care of her at home any longer, it was really pulling him down physically ... she would fall and there was no way he could pick her up .. so more than once he just made her comfortable on the floor and lay down beside her until morning when he could get some help).
She actually recognized me momentarily this past Sunday while I was feeding her lunch (she can't feed herself), kissed my hand and actually pulled my arm around her shoulders, but a few minutes later she had that blank look again. Normally she doesn't recognize me, or anyone in the family.
Tough to see someone go through that. Their 70th wedding anniversary was this past Oct 3rd.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

I walked up to my dad one time, in the assisted living home, and he lit up. "Who are you?" he asked. "I'm Rob." "That's wonderful, I have a son named Rob.".. and his smile widened even more.
That event stuck to me, still rattles me when I think about it. In some ways, it is a wonderful story.
On 10/18/2011 10:19 PM, Robatoy wrote:

It is wonderful. I hate equating art to reality, but a touching film, I ever saw, and I don't sit through many, was "The Notebook". Watching my Dad trying, with both desperation and resignation, to bring some recognition into the face of his partner of 70 years brings that particular piece of art into the realm of reality.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

None of this is easy. Mom and Dad just passed their 61st, and there was no joy. Instead it is fear of the great unknown in front of them, what will become of one another and if they will continue to be separated. Worse, if something happens to one or the other and they feel like they weren't "there" for the other. If my Dad passes in the rehab/hospice ward and my Mom isn't there at his side she absolutely won't forgive herself.
I am having a meeting with all the department heads tomorrow at the compound he lives in to see where he can go from here. He has plateaued in his therapy, and he will hit bottom tomorrow when they deny further health care from Medicare. He told me that he feels like they are telling him there is no more hope for his future.
I will be trying to set up some alternative solutions, but don't what they will be yet. He wants to get better and go back to his apartment, but Mom wants him back -now-. She is more lonely than ever as her only sister passed this last weekend. She has no more of her family she grew up with alive now, besides a brother she isn't close to, so this has taken a new urgency.
Lots will be happening this Friday.
On a lighter note, Mom was in a chipper mood (maybe not all dementia is bad!) last night because she won forty cents at bingo, and at their weekly store outing she found a great deal on Poise pads. My Mom does like winning at bingo and a good bargain - I guess it was a pretty good day.
Robert
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 07:10:49 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Robert,
Will you send me a good email address?
bill (at) welshpembrokecorgis (dot) com
basilisk
In typed:

Brushes? rotor worn? Speed control switch dead spot? What dd the ship say was rhe problem? Did you ask?
On 10/15/2011 2:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: Snip

Good here, my folks are ok up in Chicago but aging. Been looking for work in St Louis area but no luck, a 55 year old electronic tech ain't that much in demand. Marriage has been a bit rough lately but a couple of deaths of her brothers and mom in law is also aging.
But I have a nice house qith a two car garage shop and a long todo list.
Good to hear from you.
Mark