desk design and veneer question

Page 2 of 2
Jack Stein wrote:

How do you figure that? Join narrow strips, use veneer tape and glue edges together; when wide enough, lay the whole thing with contact cement. Done all the time.

I can't argue with that :)
--

dadiOH
dadiOH wrote:

It may be, but generally urea resin glue is used for veneer glue up because it allows adjustment and it doesn't creep. I'm no expert on veneering, thats for sure, but my experience in wood work is veneering a desk top with 1/32 resawn homemade veneer is not something to be approached lightly. I can imagine edge gluing 5' lengths of 1/32" resawn lumber and then getting them oriented correctly and stuck on a homemade torsion box with contact cement. I've never done it mind you, but I would think the odds of me getting it right are small, and if I did, the odds of the seams staying tight even smaller. Also, cauls are not good, you generally would want a vacuum press for something like this. All good reasons to go out and by a sheet of plywood, or spend the cash and get some nice solid wood. Just edge gluing thick solid wood, one of the easiest things for a woodworker to do, seems to generate a hell of a lot of discussion here. Veneering is almost another discipline apart from general woodwork. At least he should start smaller, like a jewelry box or something... Besides just trying to get biscuits into the edge of a 1/32" hunk of oak veneer would be a real bitch:-)

--
Jack
I've tossed out the torsion box idea and have decided to "reveneer" some decent 1/2" plywood. The primary reason that I will not use 3/4" plywood is the paper-thin veneer. When I glue on a 1"x3" perimeter board I can expect my alignment to be +/- 1/64". That's fine for a solid wood top. I can scrape/sand/plane that level. But up against a paper-thin commercial plywood veneer, I fear that bad things would happen when trying to level the top.