depth collar setting on a pocket hole bit

I have a kreg pocket hole jig and bit. I set the deph collar as they specify. However, the tip of the drill bit does not go all the way through. In other words, the screw must go through some wood before it will contact the joining piece. Is this normal, or should I tweak the depth collar setting so that the hole does go all the way through?

Thanks,

Mitch

Reply to
MB

Normal.

Reply to
Pat

That's how mine is as well.

Reply to
Nova

That's the way mine works, haven't seen any adverse impact from it.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

bit does not go all the way through. In other words, the screw must go through some wood before it will contact the joining piece. Is this normal, or should I tweak the

No. If you set the collar for the drill to penetrate deeper, you will also increase the depth of the counterbore, and there's a good chance that the screw will blow through the undrilled stock and bugger your work.

Joel

Reply to
joeljcarver

I have mine set so that the tip of the bit just makes a bump on the exit side. I then remove this with my fingernail and I am done.

When I don't do this, sometimes the screw will have enough meat on the pocket hole piece to grab and push away from the mating surface, before it starts to penetrate. This can lead to slight misalignment problems that I would just as soon not have to sand out. Even when clamped, I have had the two pieces move slightly enough, that due to the angle, causes a misalignment.

I have never had problems with blowout. The only problems I have had are cracking of the piece being penetrated by the screw when it is too close to the end of the piece, usually on harder woods.

Reply to
Robert Allison