depth collar setting on a pocket hole bit

I have a kreg pocket hole jig and bit. I set the deph collar as they specify. However, the tip of the drill bit does not go all the way through. In other words, the screw must go through some wood before it will contact the joining piece. Is this normal, or should I tweak the depth collar setting so that the hole does go all the way through?
Thanks,
Mitch

Normal.
Pat wrote:

That's how mine is as well.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
MB wrote:

That's the way mine works, haven't seen any adverse impact from it.

bit does not go all the way through. In other words, the screw must go through some wood before it will contact the joining piece. Is this normal, or should I tweak the

No. If you set the collar for the drill to penetrate deeper, you will also increase the depth of the counterbore, and there's a good chance that the screw will blow through the undrilled stock and bugger your work.
Joel
MB wrote:

I have mine set so that the tip of the bit just makes a bump on the exit side. I then remove this with my fingernail and I am done.
When I don't do this, sometimes the screw will have enough meat on the pocket hole piece to grab and push away from the mating surface, before it starts to penetrate. This can lead to slight misalignment problems that I would just as soon not have to sand out. Even when clamped, I have had the two pieces move slightly enough, that due to the angle, causes a misalignment.
I have never had problems with blowout. The only problems I have had are cracking of the piece being penetrated by the screw when it is too close to the end of the piece, usually on harder woods.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.