Delta SH100 Router/Shaper

Since I got such good advice from the group when I asked about my old Craftsman router (You explained the problems of ARHA to me) I thought I would ask your opinions on the Delta SH100 Router/Shaper.

When I first started into woodworking six months ago I was determined to build myself a router table, inspired by New Yankee Workshop and a plan in a Woodsmith book. However, I attended a woodworking show and saw the Delta machine. Here was a machine with a decent table, fence, router and lift all in one convenient package at an unbeatable price! So I bought it and am quite staisfied so far but have only done a couple of small projects which used it.

The only specification that gives me some concern is the rotation speed which is about half the speed of my beautiful new Bosch router. I also think I should build a decent fence for it.

What do you all think of this approach to a router table?

Best Regards, Jack Fearnley

Reply to
Jack Fearnley

Well, since you already bought it and are at least resonably pleased, seems a little late for asking to me... :)

But...I also have one which I got primarily as a cheap second shaper for light-duty work for when the regular shaper is set up for something else and I'm not yet ready to change that set up. I've also used it some as a router table.

My thoughts are it is generally ok for what it is...it isn't rugged enough spindle locking mechanism to do heavy-duty work and the speed is a limitation for some fine small-diameter router bits, particularly in difficult woods. But, the rotation limit for most shaper cutters is the limitation for the motor speed. A nice touch would have been a dual-speed motor, but I suspect it wasn't done for both cost and possible safety issues--it would probably have needed designing in an interlock w/ the shaper spindle as well which would have added even more to cost.

I have a second fence from a light-duty Delta 1/2" spindle shaper which I use instead of the POS that comes w/ the SH100. The extended fibreboard table is about useless as it warps excessively over time so I replaced it w/ a shop-built one.

All in all, you'll be able to do quite a bit w/ it as it is, but you'll undoubtedly also want a "real" router table for the other router eventually....but, personally, I don't believe there's a need for any of the really high-priced commercial ones unless you're into production work or simply have the resources to commit.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth