Delta DJ-20 question

When I look at used 8" Delta DJ-20 jointers, can I take for granted that they have "parallelogram support", or is that feature only in the later models?

Grizzly sent me a 10%-off coupon, so I am considering the G-0490, but I would prefer to buy used. I think I'd even find a decent 6" unit acceptable for now. I'm not in a hurry but I just have 10 more days on my coupon. I've been checking craigslist everyday since they sent the coupon. A DJ-20 showed up for $1000 the other day and disppeared pretty fast. There is one out there for $1150. I think I'd pay $750 as a new G-490, would be $1050 including delivery. Maybe that is unfair to a DJ-20 seller, but that is the way I think about it. I saw a Powermatic

8" jointer go for about that at an auction 2 years ago. It was in a basement with a steep stairway!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The DJ-15, DJ-20 and DJ-30 all have the parallelogram system.

In my experience (I have a DJ-20 and have and have used Griz tools) you'd find the Delta to be a more refined machine. The castings are cleaned up and machined nicely and the adjustments work smoothly. In comparison, adjusting the depth of cut is very smooth and accurate on the DJ-20... not so much on the Griz I used as it didn't move smoothly which led to missing the depth "spot" I was attempting to reach. The Deltas were shipping with good quality U.S. made motors also.

If the used DJ-20 is in good shape and looks good you can likely get back every dollar you paid for it if you sell it. The same cannot be said for a new Griz (or any other new tool).

I'd be inclined to get the Delta if it's in good shape and looks good.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I've used a old Delta and own a late 80s model Powermatic. I find them nearly the same. I don't know of the new machines.

In the used department, be patient and get what you want. Don't settle for something less. You'll eventually find a good deal. Also, a long table is most desirable, especially if you settle for a 6" unit.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Thank you for the "review" John! I know I just missed my chance on a very nice-looking DJ-20. I wasn't ready to plunk down $1000 though. I have enough to keep me busy while I keep looking (including a vintage #8 hand plane, and two #7s, a #6, ... -- almost the whole set (no #3))

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'd certainly not restrict my looking to the DJ series, either. Unless they've seen 50 yr of service in a commercial shop where they tables were cranked a zillion times a day ever day, the chances of the bed ways being worn enough you'll ever know it is near zero on a traditional Delta or PM and even if they are a little loose there are takeup gibs to compensate.

While the parallelogram design is nice, lacking it is certainly not a show-stopper imo.

As another said, look for the longest bed you can find and have room for and wider is always better. (I covet the old Crescent 20" had access to in Lynchburg... :) )

Reply to
dpb

Bill

If you were looking for new one of these, you might get the impression they aren't going to make them anymore! At least, they seem scarce!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Delta Machinery" was evidently bought by Chang Type (of Taiwan).

This from their web site, to let you know the Delta name is in good hands! %-)

The continuous orders from its customers push the business growing. Through our OEM/ODM brands, such as Ryobi (the fastest growing brand globally), Craftsman (exclusive brand in Sears ), Black & Decker (Global No. 1 power tools manufacturer) and Dewalt (Top tier of Black & Decker power tools), the products are sold in the major retailing channels, such as Sears, Home Depot and Lowe?s. We have also expanded our capacity to Ho Li new Plant to meet the future demands from our valuable customers.

Reply to
Bill

Yes Bill we all new that.

I avoid Crapsman mostly Avoid B&D like the plague ... it's crap. Avoid new Delta... crap.

Dewalt I consider good quality mostly. But I have been reading some bad things.. I have an older scroll saw... it's great, the new ones have some serious problems...

Big box stores have held the prices down, but also the quality. If you can buy from tool companies, you'll pay more but get a better tool. If you'll notice the UPC's are different. I've been told the batteries are better, and some components are stronger than big box. True or not??? I don't know.

Reply to
woodchucker

That occurred "way back" in 2011...at the time FWW said--

I've not looked at anything up close and personal since then and certainly not recently so no real knowledge on how they're actually doing...

Reply to
dpb

"woodchucker" wrote

On the most part, I agree. I was given a partial set of B&D Firestorm battery tools, and I found them to be so indestructible, that I got all of the tools in the line, so I could use the same batteries. The batteries are still crap, but the tools have been proven to be tough as nails, and I have used them on an every day commercial basis. I solved the battery problem by buying a few Kobalt 4400Mah Lithium ion batteries and stuffing them in the old NiCad batter cases. Problem solved.

Yep. Bad switches, armatures burned out, cases broken, batteries burned out quickly, all of the problems. I would not buy a new Dealt on a bet, now.

Reply to
Morgans

I knew about "Stanley, Black and Decker", but I didn't know Delta was part of the same mix. It helps explain why certain tools have disappeared. I guess that means Porter-Cable is part of the same mix. Delta was like the sacred cow (to me). Sorry for my not keeping up.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Most Porter-Cable is junk now, too. Some of their old-tech stuff is still alright. The PC-691 is still a nice router. There are better but I still like its "D" handle.

Yeah, Delta is in there, too. However I bought the Delta 18-900L a couple of years ago and am very happy with it. It's a very nice woodworking drill press.

Reply to
krw

Yea that's a real nice drill press. 6" quill travel, and the depth stops working both sides of the shaft to hold it down for sanding or millling work is nice.

The trunion table is cool.

It is a nice looking unit.. Especially down to 170 rpm.. But what is that big box on the motor?? Where they stuck the capacitors.

Reply to
woodchucker

The 6" travel and low RPM ranges are what eventually sold me (I was about to pull the trigger on a PowerMatic PM2800(?) but it only went to 400RPM).

Yes, and a circuit breaker.

Reply to
krw

In other bad news, Jet and Powermatic were bought up in Oct/2013:

?

Reply to
Bill

--------------------------------------------------------------- As venture capitalists, wonder how they plan to respond to the SawStop activity in the market place to protect their investments?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Why is that automatically "bad news"?

Reply to
krw

Do you expect to see it result in higher-quality Powermatic products in the marketplace? Or even equivalent quality?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

That's a good question. How many years a left on the patents in question? Maybe at today's (low) borrowing rates, waiting is cheap.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The basic SawStop patents were issued in 2002, so they have another eight years to run. There are others but the biggies are the first ones. The rest is engineering.

Reply to
krw