Black cherry lumber

I have a Black cherry tree that needs to come down, it's a large tree with a 28" diameter. I plan on doing it soon but was interested in the idea of p ossibly having them cut into manageable lengths (still a lot of weight, I k now) and putting the raw timber on Craigslist.

Not just to recover some of the money taking it down but I hate to see it g o to waste. I'd use it for firewood before giving it away.

What do you guys think? Woodturners maybe?

It's the weight that concerns me -- I may not want to mess with it.

Reply to
mkr5000

What part of the world are you in?

Reply to
G. Ross

Many possibilities. What do you consider manageable lengths? At 28" dia. it gets heavy fast.

I'd look for someone with a portable saw mill and have it cut up into boards. You may be able to sell it as is to someone that will cut and dry it. You get money fast, but they get top dollar but will invest a lot of time from cutting to drying.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

mkr5000 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Try to find someone in your area with a portable sawmill who can cut it into lumber for you. Wood-Mizer

can put you in touch with owners of their mills in your area.

Reply to
Doug Miller

"G. Ross" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Presumably in the eastern half of the United States, or extreme southern Canada -- that tree doesn't grow native anywhere else.

Reply to
Doug Miller

As others have said, mill the trunk into boards, but also cut the limb fork s for turners. Search for a turner's guild in your area. A fork is desira ble because it will have some figuring, more so than straight lengths. Alo ng any straight lengths, any significant blemishes, showing on the surface, may have figured wood on the inside, also. If you are to dig up the root ball, that wood is figured.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Great info -- will check woodmizer. Obviously I'll have the tree taken down by pros, most of the tree is straight for lumber. I'll try and get somebod y out here first and them have them commit and ask for lengths he wants --

28" even a few feet would need a power lift of some sort. I'm in Indiana.
Reply to
mkr5000

well you need to do it now, before the water starts pumping again. your best time to cut is winter.

Reply to
woodchucker

mkr5000 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

If you're in the Indianapolis area, I can recommend a sawyer for you, someone who's sawn several trees for me in the past.

Reply to
Doug Miller

About 56 lb per cu ft.

Reply to
clare

We salvaged a broken branch off a black cherry tree at my Grandfathers place in Ohio one. It was not a huge branch, but my uncle used it to make some curios and boxes very nice items. I have to say the dark heart it's a unique and beautiful wood. I certainly wouldn't burn it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Black Cherry is considered medium density at something like 54 lb per cu ft. Both my brother and my partner in the airplane have woodlots and have harvested some black cherry - Bruce Peninsula (Wiarton area) and Huntsville/Parry Sound district. My brother has a portable band saw mill.

Reply to
clare

---------------------------------------------------------------------- How close is that to Kincardine?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

My freind's place is closest - About 1 hour 25 minutes by road. About

2 hours from home (waterloo). 2 hours 35 minutes Waterloo to Wiarton. About 3 1/2 hours to my brother's place in Huntsville district.
Reply to
clare

About 4 hours from Kincardine to Huntsville.

Reply to
clare

Kincardine is such a neat place.

They rebuilt the lighthouse back in the 70's.

When we sailed up to the North Channel/Georgian Bay, we would plan on stopping at Kincardine on the way back.

It was about a 12-14 hour sail from Tobermory (AKA: The Tub) to Kincardine.

Still have a T-Shirt from The Tub someplace.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett