lumber value of choke cherry?

I cut down a bunch of pine trees, and I have some variety of cherry that's gotten rather big. I'm sure it's not an eating cherry, and I expect it's some variety of choke cherry.

It will eventually threaten the same power lines that caused me to take out all the pine trees, so it's a doomed tree that needs to die.

I'm wondering if I should let it grow for a few years and kill it when it's much bigger. I could probably keep one side of it lopped back and let it grow for 20 years before it becomes a big problem, because it's in a location that won't directly threaten anything until it gets rather large.

Could I make stuff out of that some day, or should I just make a walking stick out of it now?

Reply to
Silvan

If you've got a lathe and you can get large enough blanks out of it, especially crotchwood, I'd use it for bowls. Cut it so that it splits, at a crotch and double your wood supply.

My two cents, Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

I'm with Dave. It's a gorgeous wood for turning.

This is a sample... finished with tung oil. (I'm showing off the wood, not my still immature turning skill).

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone