Delta 14-651 Mortising Machine

I just received a Delta 14-651 mortiser from Coastal Tools. The unit arrived with no shipping damage and was set up and running in about 10 minutes. I have cut 1/2" and 3/8" holes and am so far pleased with this exception: It seems to me, that I am doing quite a bit of clean up to square the corners and remove other left behind material. The amount of work is MUCH less than when producing similar joints using a brad point bit and drill press but I was hoping for a little better result from a dedicated mortiser. Does a better set of chisels significantly improve on this or should I just expect to do this clean up?

Thanks!

Reply to
Bob Robbins

I'd look at getting a better set of chisels, or at least the ones you have sharpened. After I sharpened the set that cam with my machine (Non-Delta), it performed much better and the mortises where much cleaner.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Robert Sorby Woodturning Chisels

- Kwikstand Portable Table Saw Stand

- Woodworking Techniques & Projects

- Kreg Right Angle Clamp

- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

ToolReviews

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 03:20:07 GMT, "Bob Robbins" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

you will always have some slight cleanup in the corners of the mortise. but as Dean stated in his reply, sharpen your chisels and bits. for ease of sharpening the inside "cone" of the chisels, get ahold of these little beauties from Lee Valley.

watch word wrap,,,these things are hard to find on the LeeValley site (you hear that Rob?(lol))

item number 77J81.20

by far the Easiest way to hone hollow chisels i have found

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

> item number 77J81.20

Have to agree with Traves... These are the same sharpening cones I bought for my hollow chisels and it sure does make a difference! Grab yourself a set or three. You won't be sorry!

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener

- Miller Dowel System

- Robert Sorby Woodturning Chisels

- Kwikstand Portable Table Saw Stand

- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

ToolReviews

Thanks for the info! I'll be ordering these sharpening cones rigth away. I guess I need to finally buy that drill press vise that I've looked at a hundred times...

Bob

1,180,42334

Reply to
Bob Robbins