Deadliest Crotch - aka Cutting Veneer With A Chainsaw

Had a black walnut (real honest to god juglans nigra, not a butternut, for a change) go down in the woods behind my place last week.

It had been destabilized by some construction work that was being done to "improve" our creek flow.

I figured I'd like to see what kind of figure the crotch had and went to work with my Stihl.

Bucked it up above and below the crotch, leaving about a five foot long piece on the ground for my experiment.

I decided to cleave the crotch at the intersection and went to work.

I've cut reaction wood before but never in this exact way. I would have thought that the tension would not be strong on the cut that I was making but the saw went in to about the depth of the bar and then grabbed solid, knocking me forwards and way too close to the blade.

I was pretty damned surprised by how the wood grabbed that bar and I could have been bad hurt by thinking that I knew what was going to happen.

I guess the lesson is: whatever the worst thing that can happen, will happen.

Turned out OK and the figure is interesting enough to make it worth taking to a guy with a bigger bandsaw than I have.

Like they used to say on one of my favorite TV shows: Let's be careful out there.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Snip

Two weeks ago I cut a 20' limb out of a tree for a neighbor. Before I went over to do the deed I thought to my self, I am going to get hurt today. I ended up getting a pretty nice scrape and bruse on my right arm.

Hill Street Blue's

Let us know how that wood turne out.

Reply to
Leon

Tom, cherish that Butternut, it's disappearing rapidly in the upper Midwest due to Butternut Blight. I find it to be a really appealing wood, the grain and figure add a lot of interest to a piece. I'm gonna miss it.

Reply to
d.williams