How remove adhesive glue on tile floor?

Removed lynolium tiles that were stuck to a tile floor. Now I am left with some very stick glue on my tiles. Any recommendations on what would be the best solution to remove the glue?

Reply to
Albert

Heat will soften the glue. This might allow you to scrape it up. Another solution might be to cool it with dry ice so that it becomes brittle and is scraped up more easily. Other than that (scraping or mechanical means), the only other way is to try an use a solvent to dissolve it. Not knowing the exact glue used, I'd hate to recommend a solvent. Some are dangerous from skin contact, others can make you sick from breathing the fumes. Almost all are flammable so you have to be careful that there are no ignition sources nearby.

Reply to
Dan Major

On 5/20/2009 8:37 AM Albert spake thus:

Just one question: what exactly is *non*-adhesive glue? Oh, you mean that cheap stuff that doesn't work?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Dan Major wrote in news:04e2f947-e08a-4eb1-9d03- snipped-for-privacy@g19g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:

Reminds me of an oh sh#$ story - something involving lynolium floor, adhesive, mineral spirits, a gas water heater in the room next door, and a fire extinguisher (in that order). Bad combination - things were pretty exciting for a minute or so - i've never been so scared.

Reply to
me

There are many stories of both cabinet makers doing a kitchen cabinet re-face in the kitchen with toluene based adhesive and also carpet and/or linoleum installers using VOC based adhesives in homes with natural gas fired appliances equipped with standing pilot lights.

Typical scenario.

Workman would forget to turn off pilot lights before starting job.

Sooner or later fumes found open flame and BANG.

Workman either got burned badly or killed.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Albert,

I found the best way is to use the scraper blade on the Fein Multi Mastertool, see this site:

brings all the glue up, no problem. Now this tool is expensive (I think I paid around $300), but I think Dremel just came out with a clone of this thing that has to be a lot cheaper. See this site:

Luck!

Woodchuck

Reply to
Woodchuck34