Dave Marks table - for sale

Was in a new gallery in Healdsburg this week. (Healdsburg is about 60 miles north SF). Saw a nice table - noticed the builder' s name - David Marks. Sort of a sofa table (narrow and tall) with a built-in "scoop" in the middle to hold glass orbs. The sign says he built it for one of his shows due to aired in the fall. Price, a reasonable $3,500 or so will get it to your doorstop.

Best thing is that Dave will be on next year. I heard it was always give and take on the show. That there was a possibility that DIY would not renew this coming year. Good for them that they have.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
MJ Wallace

snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com (MJ Wallace) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

And the name of the new gallery is...?

BTW, a friend of mine from our woodworking club knows David pretty well. Says that one aspect of the show contract is that the production for TV requires that they shoot all in one day, so they have multiples of the projects, at various stages of completion, to accomodate the shooting schedule. These multiples are/become David's to do with as he sees fit. The fact that they show up for sale in galleries is probably good cross- promotion.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

If I understand it right - "Dovetail".

A one day shoot? That takes planning. Norm doesn't do it in a day and his works are less "gallery" items then David's.

Good for him if he could do it.

BTW: Would that be Sonoma County Woodworkers? I understand that couple of the members do the partial pieces he needs for the shoot.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
MJ Wallace

snipped-for-privacy@onebox.com (MJ Wallace) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Thanks for the gallery name. We'll get up there for a visit pretty soon.

That would be Diablo Woodworkers, meeting in Pleasant Hill. We have a wide range of experience and talent, ranging from 'at this a short while' to 'did the two year program at CR' and 'make a living from this stuff'. We enjoy having folks in once a month for a slide show and talk. There's a once a month shop tour, and several special interest groups. And always a few community service opportunities available. Lots of good people - men & women.

On the one day shoot - I'm noticing, watching the Woodworks programs, that, while there is plenty of instruction, it's not like any of the segments comes close to showing all the work actually getting done. And that would make for not-so-good television, anyway. Jointer, resaw, sander, tablesaw, sled, a little scraper work, the multirouter, etc. Enough 'prop' pieces, and I don't think that a 1 day shoot would be out of the question. I would think that 'production assistant woodworkers' would be cheaper than having a film crew hang around while somebody sets up and cuts all the fussy mortises, etc.

And besides, folks said that Roy Underhill used to shoot his shows in one take, start to finish. No editing.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Nahm doesn't go to such ridiculous lengths to build forms, patterns, jigs, and fixtures. David's are obviously designed for re-use, or they'd be made out of scraps. The man spends more on MDF than I spend on project materials!

It's certainly believable that the show is shot in a day with multiples of the project in various stages, rather like a cooking show.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

I met David Marks at a Sacramento Area Woodworkers meeting. According to him his show is filmed in one day, usually a tuesday, and then sound editing is done another day, usually thursday. He said filming usually starts around 7 am and has gone as late at 2 am the next day. Also several members of the Sonoma woodworkers club do work with him to create several of the projects in various stages. Thats what he told me, FWIW.

Jim website:

Jim

Yup great that DIY is going to carry him. Now how do I get my stupid cable company to carry the DIY network? I got hooked on Marks during a brief period that HGTV carried him.

rhg

MJ Wallace wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

My exact feelings. The local cable company, Mediacom, doesn't carry it either. My, even larger regret, is HGTV not carrying the Modern Masters any longer. There were some gifted woodworkers featured in that series. Marks was featured in one

Lawrence L'Hote

There is always DirecTV, or even better, DirecTivo.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yeah what is up with that. That was IMHO an awesome show.

Probably too slow pace for todays crowd, no tattos, no motorcycles, no chainsawing the front porch.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Fortunately, last spring I started taping the shows and have about 15 or so episodes on tape. I've rewatched some of the shows several times now.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote