Dateline Cochran, GA

We got 6 1/2 inches of rain last evening and night. About midnight the weather radio came on and said there "was the potential of flash flooding in Cochran and Bleckley County, If you experience flooding move to higher ground."

I can't believe someone gets paid to broadcast gems like that. They must be brilliant to get that job.

Reply to
G. Ross

On Thu, 15 May 2014 07:53:01 -0400, "G. Ross"

Look at it this way. There's bound to be a number of people who won't move unless someone tells them to.

And considering the litigious reputation the US has, what is the possibility that someone would sue a radio station for not advising the obvious? You just never know.

Reply to
none

One thing that is missing in today's culture is "Common Sense".

Today most people live in a virtual reality of computer games, videos, and TV programs. You do not learn self preservation in a video game.

There are those that do not realize the chicken wing they love to eat comes from a living breathing animal.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I once told my son that the professions that had the least pressure of being right all of the time was weather forecasters and medical.

Reply to
Leon

On Thu, 15 May 2014 11:01:35 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Hey, no one else had the McDonald's coffee lawsuit case. Other people in the developed global world have done some damned stupid things and sued for them, but none of them have awarded someone three million dollars for driving and spilling a cup of coffee between their legs.

Hell, I'm willing to bet that if the coffee was too cold, she'd have sued for that and won even more money. :) :) :)

Reply to
none

Not to be uncharitable, but you apparently fell for the spin the media put for the stupid on that issue, and I know damned good and well you're not in that category. ;)

I thought so at first also ... until I saw the photos of the burns on her thighs from that coffee. IIRC, she wasn't driving, was a passenger in the car, and they were stopped in the parking lot.

Photo of the burn here. Careful if you're squeamish.

Swingman

Not my coffee...not after it gets in my cup. No way could I drink coffee at thet temperature - can you? - so why not serve it at a drinkable temperature rather than brew temperature?

Reply to
dadiOH

All you have to do is come up with a way for government to tax it (other than the lottery - already been done).

Reply to
krw

+1

Maybe McDs should have put a disclaimer on the cup saying that coffee is hot. ...so now we're forced to drink cold coffee.

Reply to
krw

After all, doctors are only licensed to practice.

Reply to
krw

The police around here have the same cars, in black on black.

Reply to
krw

However, how many people who are "experiencing flooding" go to low-lying areas without such warning?

The second sentence is the issue.

Reply to
krw

Clothing holds the fluid and heat against the skin longer.

Clothing mediated burns are worse.

Reply to
phorbin

Maybe so, but that might not be considered out of place. At home, you put the kettle on, when the water is boiling and it steams it whistles. You pour it in a cup, add your coffee and take a tentative sip to test the hotness.

Coffee is supposed to be hot, not luke warm, hot. I'd expect that and so would most other people I know. It's damned stupid to be putting it between your legs ~ for whatever reason.

Yeah, this has all been hashed out before. There's not much that can be added to it now.

Reply to
none

I agree. However, please provide a precise, universally accepted definition.temperature of "hot".

And who the hell is "luke"??

Thanks. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Yup, and so am I apparently. I guess the biggest fault here wasn't that McDonalds was serving hot coffee, but the fact that they didn't accede to here original claims for compensation.

Guess they were afraid of the torrent of new claims that would follow. So, either way, they were going to have to pay. That means, that you're right, there coffee was too hot. Not INHO that it was undrinkable, but that it's hotness left them open for being sued. :)

Reply to
none

I am not going to get involved in any kind of discussion with the resident troll. But I wanted to comment.

Years ago, I was involved in the specialty coffee biz for a while. There was a big push at that time to "standardize" coffee brewing temperatures. Considerable money and time was spent to determine the "optimal brewing temperature". And it was short of boiling.

In fact a number of procedures and monitoring equipment was devised to achieve this mathematical ideal. The consensus of the McDonalds incident was that it had to be crap coffee if it was brewed at those kinds of temperature. McDonalds has greatly improved their coffee since those days, because they found out that it brought people in the doors. All they had to do was to sell it cheaper than Starbucks. Which is not hard to do.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Let me see...

  1. McDonalds wants their coffee to be really, REALLY hot. Undrinkably hot.

  1. They serve it in a squishy styrofoam cup.

  2. They put a lid on that cup (maybe just for take out, don't know, I don't go to McDonalds)

  1. In order to drink the undrinkably hot coffee, one has to remove the top. Which is what she was trying to do.

McDonalds knows all about #1 - #3 or - if they don't - they are incredibly stupid. Not to hard to foretell what happened to her. It seems to me that McD just doesn't give a rat's ass which is one reason I don't go there (the main reason is that their burgers suck, ditto BurgerKing).

Reply to
dadiOH

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message news:ll5d22$shb$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me

Right. She was awarded $200K damages, $2.7 mil punitive, reduced by the judge to $160K and $480K respectively. McD made out like a bandit, only $640K instead of $2.9 mil. What they actually paid seems to be a secret but I'm betting it was way more than the $20K she wanted originally. Can you say, "Penny wise and pound foolish"? :)

Reply to
dadiOH