Dateline Cochran, GA

I think a more accurate reading might be gotten with the thermometer sitting inside a fresh brewed Styrofoam cup. You are getting a surface temp exposed to the ambient temp. I used to develop my own slide film. It evolved a large glass thermometer as the water temp in the sink had to be darn close to what was called for. I had to warm the sink for quite a while to get a consistent temp reading and IIRC the thermometer instructions wanted a 3~4 minute submerfed exposure to give an accurate reading. I think you are going to need a probe to submerge in the coffee to get a true overall temperature reading.

Hotter still. But again, surface temperature.

I used a temp probe.

Tap water, and farking hot.

Brewed Water

I have a voltage meter with a temp probe. should I bring it tonight? LOL

Reply to
Leon

I used to develop my own slide film.

On the other hand: ;)

Using your argument, the vessel itself, being cooler than the hot water, will have cooled the water slightly at lower levels in my measurements.

The hot water stream as it enters the cup will indeed be somewhat effected by your "ambient" air temperature on the way down to the surface, but, without an additional source of heat, and until the vessel reaches an equilibrium temperature with the liquid as your sink did, the temperature of the water stream at the entry point will still be at its highest temperature ... and that point of entry is not within the scientific definition of "surface temperature" of a liquid.

IIRC my physics classes, "surface temperatures" are not necessarily lower than at lower depths, quite common in boiling water with the nucleate film effect that vapor causes.

;)

Reply to
Swingman

Depends upon where you are planning on sticking it? LOL!

Reply to
Swingman

But you also brought up SawStop. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Without government's (both federal and state) help, the civil system would be far different. That's the point.

Reply to
krw

So you're saying that civil law is outside the purview of the government? Odd. Really odd.

So anything a jury wants to do is just peachy? No rules apply? The government doesn't make the rules?

No, it's not the end of the story. Bring it up again in a month and see. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Nope, it is you "saying that".

Again, there is no one other than you "saying that".

Be my guest. Please direct us to a source that states the trial is not over, that a settlement was not reached, and that it is not unarguably and irrevocably concluded.

Reply to
Swingman

Yes. And you had a vessel that will change temperatures more slowly as it absorbed the heat from the liquid. Styrofoam cups like the ones MD uses are designed to not absorb heat rather to contain the heat.

I think the problem here is that your sensor "spot" focused on the water from the faucet and or coffee maker was in a disrupted stream. I I don't think that the spot focus was always hitting water rather an airreated water air mix and you were probably getting some type of average.

Yes, the surface temp is not going to be cooler or hotter than other points. However the surface whether it be the bottom or top is where the transference of heat is going to take place which ever direction it is transferring in. In this case the transference of the heat is from the liquid top surface to the air which will have a cooling effect. Below the surface the temperature is ever changing and more so when exposed to different temp surfaces. The surface reading, where the heat is escaping to a much cooler atmosphere, is going to be cooler.

Did you look at my probe readings??? ;~)

I got much closer to predicted/expected temp readings using the probe away from the outer surface.

Reply to
Leon

where ever you like! LOL. Ill bring it. You may gave a dysfunctional coffee maker.

Reply to
Leon

You deny government's involvement ("No "government involvement" at all"). That *is* what you're saying.

That is what you said. I just changed the words, not your conclusion.

Oh, good grief.

Reply to
krw

Please don't ... bad enough getting our asses whipped with estrogen fueled dominoes, AND having to run scientific experiments on top of that. Sheeeeesh!!

ITMT, just enjoying the arguing while waiting for that inevitable ass whipping. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, it was entered more to prove an emotional response that affects decision making.

We think that the lady should have been protected from McDonald's, which few like, and a few dislike like SawStop which is providing a product that does protects us.

I suspect that most would believe that the lady got what she deserved had she first gone to congress to get mandated a low temperature regulators on all coffee makers before she was burned.

Both the lady being burned with the McDonald's coffee and the guy cutting his digit off using a Ryobi saw were more at fault than the provider of the instrument of mass destruction. Yet there seems to be almost equal opposition against McDonalds and the saw operator.

Emotion is the guiding factor.

Reply to
Leon

I don't "like" either. I like choice and am actually capable of figuring out for myself that coffee is hot (or that my table saw can bite).

Not sure I follow that. She deserved? Burns or a megabuck? Even if she had warned them in a certified letter that coffee was hot, how would that have changed anything? There is a difference between "deserved" and "is responsible for".

I think you're 100% right. Both are responsible for damaging themselves. IMO, no one else is even 1% culpable. ...besides,

*maybe* her son.

Of course but I suppose it's emotional to reject all unnecessary government intervention in my life, too. I rather like liberty but also understand you can't have liberty without at least as much responsibility.

Reply to
krw

Arguably, the "guiding factor" in both cases is actually the "Mother of all guiding factors":

Threat of (losing) litigation.

Due to litigation, the temperature of coffee served in McDonald's is now lower, and as a result arguably safer for the drinker overall.

And, the increasing acceptance of SawStop by both corporations and consumers, while not as mature, is unequivocally due in part to litigation, as well as being safer overall for an operator.

Both cases where the destination is arguably more important than the journey.

Reply to
Swingman

IOW, case closed, end of story. :)

Reply to
Swingman

If you really believed that, you wouldn't be in this conversation. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I was thinking to my self earlier, but was was interrupted by a convoy of 18 wheelers headed south from here, I wonder how much Karl was getting done on the cabinets this after noon while yielding his mighty sword at the keyboard?

Kim got home 30 minutes ago and needed help bringing in groceries. I opened the trunk of her car and the mystery of where the trucks were headed was solved. Kroger needed to be restocked.

Reply to
Leon

Worked hard all week, It's Saturday, went on strike.

Reply to
Swingman

Probably that 2 hour search for room tired you all out. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

DAYUM!

An argument rages on the wRec, and with nothing stronger than a "Good grief", and an "Oh brother."??

WTF's with that?

;)

ITMT, I'm gonna go take a nap and get ready for my weekly ass whipping, by either my wife, or Leon's.

Enjoyed the arguments one and all, learned something, hope no hard/hot feelings left on the coffee table. ;)

Reply to
Swingman