Dark Wax Finish on Oak

I've applied 3 coats of wiping polyurethane to an English oak cabinet. My intention is to finish with wax, applied using 0000 wire wool. I had two colours of Liberon Bison wax - neutral and Dark Oak. The neutral looked fine (just like the poly finish, only with a nice satin sheen). The Dark Oak was rather startling - the wax made the grain stand out with the black grain fleck highlighted.

My question - is the Dark Oak wax a reasonable idea? Are there any downsides to introducing this grain enhancement at this stage in the finishing process?

To be honest, it just seemed too easy!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Almond