Dangerous Hitachi Cordless Drill

This afternoon I bought a Hitachi 12V cordless drill. It was a kit and came with 2 batteries, a flashlight and charger. I plugged the charger into a garage outlet and then put one of the batteries into the charger and went into the house. T booklet says it should take about 30 minutes to charge and it will shut off. Well after abut 30 minutes I went back out to the garage and found it filled with smoke and stinking like hell. The charger was still sputtering and creating smoke. I unplugged the charger and after about an hour the unit was still warm but could be handled. The shell of the battery and the charger were both distorted from the heat and fused together. When I purchased the salesman made a point of letting me know that the unit was guaranteed for 5 years. Little did I suspect that I would be returning it within hours. Thankfully I had put the charger on the cement floor so it did not do damage to anything else.

Reply to
mike

Call your local fire dept and report it. They'll report it to UL.

Glad ya saved your house!

Joseph

Reply to
Ice

I would report it to the Product Safety Commission at

It might be just a fluke with the one you got but it might not. Recalls are not issued unless they know about it. It might be your incident added to the pile to get something done if there is a problem with the chargers. They already had one recall back in 1997 for the 9.6v battery.

mike wrote:

Reply to
Jody