dado/slot on a curved piece?

I'm interested in make a bed for my daughter like this, with curved head and foot board:

Nantucket Bed

I need help on best ways to make the curved tops, and more importantly, how to cut slots on them for the vertical planks. I can think of a drill press with a jig to feed the work through. A clamped down plunge router might cut better but I only have a fixed base router.

This one looks a bit easier: Capri Bed if I skip turning the posts.

Thank you!

Reply to
Rob L

Assuming I am understanding what you are asking correctly, you could cut the curves with a bandsaw and for the slot, use a slot cutting or a rabbeting bit with a ball bearing guide on top and allow your curved form to ride along the bearing while the cutting section of the bit creates your slot for the vertical panels?

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

50 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book

- Kreg Universal Bench Klamp

- GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter

- Spaceage Ceramic Bandsaw Guides

- Infinity "Dadonator" Stacked Dado Set

- Triton Powered Respirator

Woodcrafter

How about doing the curved top as two pieces that are laminated. Cut matching rebates on each piece and glue them together to make the groove for the planks.

The rebates can be easily done on a router table or with a bearing guided bit.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

wing cutter:

Reply to
bridger

A good idea, but a slot cutter would do as well in the router table without worrying about even clamping when glueing. I have a set of cutters that can be combined for various widths of cut.

P.S. It's "Rabbet". A rebate is what you get when you lend a manufacturer your money for a month or two so that he can make a profit on it, not you.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

rab·bet (also re·bate) --n. 1. A cut or groove along or near the edge of a piece of wood that allows another piece to fit into it to form a joint. 2. A joint so made. --v. rab·bet·ed also re·bat·ed, rab·bet·ing re·bat·ing, rab·bets re·bates. --tr. 1. To cut a rabbet in. 2. To join by a rabbet.

--intr. To be joined by a rabbet. [Middle English rabet, from Old French rabat, recess in a wall, act of beating down, from rabattre, to beat down again. See REBATE1.]

Nova

Thank you all very much for the advise! All of the methods sound workable. I'll read all in detail and try to decide on one.

Reply to
Rob L