dado sets: comments on delta 35-7680?

My Systimatic Fine dado set has been sharpened for the last time. But it's a set I've never been pleased with for any kind of crosscuts in plywood (especially oak).

From what I can gather from the literature, a replacement set can either be an A grade (Freud SD508, Infinity, Ridge, Forest Amana, Systimatic Super Fine, Dicor, Forrest) all starting at about $200, or the B grade (Freud SD208, Systimatic Fine, others?) starting around $85. The tradoffs seem to be the flat bottoms and the way they handle plywood.

I'm just wondering where this Delta blade fits into the mix. The price is on the B grade side, yet the cutters look similar to the A grades (Forrest). Can anyone comment on the performance of this blade on plywood, and in particular, crosscuts in red oak and cherry?

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill Wichser

Something to consider about the "look a likes" that cost less. While they look like the more expensive brands and may start out cutting pretty good, they probably use a less expensive carbide. The Forrest blades use a top quality carbide that holds it edge for a very long time. A cheaper set that cuts pretty good may not be so cheap if you have to have them resharpened more often.

Reply to
Leon

I have the Delta 35-7670 8-Inch Stacked Dado Set that Amazon carries (there is another set by DeWalt which looks identical) and it's worked really well for me. I haven't used it much, but I used it to put 1/2" grooves in some pressure treated SYP, and they still work fine on oak. I have a 35+ year old 9" Delta contractor's saw, and even though my saw may be underpowered for the blades, it still cuts great and gives me a nice smooth bottom.

The included shims are metal, which I like, and the case is nice. It's a plastic "brief case" style case with secure wing nuts to hold the blades and chippers in place, and the shims are in little plastic pockets in the case.

-Nathan

Reply to
N Hurst

First investigate.

Plywood is metric and doesn't fit many dado blade sets.

I think I got one from De Walt that was filled with lots of thin stacker's and contained a many chipper blades.

I can match anything with it. Be cautious - a good buy might not fit todays wood that is coming from Chile or Canada.

Mart> >> My Systimatic Fine dado set has been sharpened for the last time. But

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

A decent dado set will come with shim kits to correct that problem. My Dado King set came with shims and I have never had a problem cutting a dado to any thickness, metric, imperial, or custom.

Reply to
Leon