Dado set

I posted pics with a simple look at the Freud SD208 Dado Set compared to the $19 set from Harbor Freight. see ABPW. I wish I could have done better.
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
I posted pics with a simple look at the Freud SD208 Dado Set compared to the $19 set from Harbor Freight. see ABPW. I wish I could have done better.
I did some dado studies also. I've posted this link here before. For those interested: http://home.mchsi.com/~larrylhote/dadocomp/dadocomp.htm
Larry
Nice group of pics. . .I wish I had a digital camera to have done it up properly.
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
I posted pics with a simple look at the Freud SD208 Dado Set compared to the $19 set from Harbor Freight. see ABPW. I wish I could have done better.
I did some dado studies also. I've posted this link here before. For those interested: http://home.mchsi.com/~larrylhote/dadocomp/dadocomp.htm
Larry
While the depth and groove bottom is something of some significance what did the face of the pieces cut look like 'tween the two?
UA100
I believe I understand what you are getting at and I can say that chipping, flaking or tear-out, whatever one chooses to refer to the face at the dado edge(forgive me for not mentioning that, *Freud*ian slip I suppose. . .no pun intended) is way better with the Freud, even on the plywood. The oak sample was clean but even on the whitewood the HF messed the edge a bit. The Freud edge looked like it was moulded rather than sawn. I need to borrow a digital camera and redo this test. . .you guys are tough! <s>
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
While the depth and groove bottom is something of some significance what did the face of the pieces cut look like 'tween the two?
UA100

This is what I always wonder when I read about dado cut quality!
I can care less if there's a score or two in the bottom, I really care about the parts that show. In my experience, the really good dados don't chip out the sides of cut, even on woods prone to chipping.
My Freud 208 chipped edges when new and after resharpening by a top notch sharpening shop. The Dado King and the Ridge I've used left a much cleaner edge. My understanding is that this is due to the combination of the sharp, pointed edges on the outsides of the outside plate's teeth, and the tooth angle when addressing the stock.
If I need a perfectly flat bottom in solid stock, because the dado end will show, a swipe or two of a shoulder plane will make it so, or I'll rout it. I've never had a reason for the end of a plywood dado to show, as it'll be edge banded or covered with another board, so I don't worry about it. I also don't see a problem if a tenon has a few scores in it, as long as the shoulder edge is crisp and clean.
Barry
I agree, a "score" or two in the bottom may not be a problem if esthetics is the only factor. However a *rough* bottom may not be comprised of just "scores". They cold just as easily be elevated artifacts in which case 'how deep it the dado' could become a factor, rare perhaps but nevertheless. Plus if there is glue, a rough surface is not necessarily a good glue surface. I have seen such test involving Dado Kings and for the money 'deys ain't nuff difrunce'!
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
wrote:

[...]
The current issue of Woodcraft Magazine performed a similar side-by-side comparison of 3 dado sets: the Forrest Dado King, the Amana 658040, and the DeWalt DW7670.
Lee

What did they conclude? max

I conclude they did a rather skimpy sampling. Woodcraft carries 7 brands on their web page but they did not test them? I guess you cold give them a test and comparison but it would be unfair to call anyone of them the best or worst when so many more are available.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Oh, come on now, that $250 flootchie from Forest just *has* to be the best because it costs more than the GDP of Honduras.
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 01:27:48 -0500, Silvan

Hey, mine was $150! <G>
Barry
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Actually, since the article was a new-tool review, those three sets were chosen because they were the newest three out there.
A.J.
<<What did they conclude?>>
They didn't pick a winner, if that's what you are asking. They did conclude that because both the Forrest and DeWalt sets use four-toothed chipper blades, the dadoes they produced had cleaner, smoother bottoms. The also had pictures of dadoes from each set made side by side in a couple of different wood species.
Lee