dado blade storage

The original package for my dado blades is finally dead.

Are there boxes, something that can be made in the shop to store all of the blades and chippers.

Are there plans, or am I over complicating the problem.

Reply to
Keith nuttle

Depends. Do your dado blades reside in the workshop or do they get to go travelling places?

Reply to
Upscale

My Dado King came with a case. To store my other set, I just ran a 5/8" carriage bolt through a 10x10 piece of scrap plywood, and topped it off with a washer and wing nut.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Absolutely!

Probably yes to both questions.

Take a look at what Forrest uses for their Dado King dado blades. You can probably make something similar. There is no reason to keep the blades separated as they are not separate while spinning at 100 mph, something to consider when making a case.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Pat Barber

their dadoes in.

But if one had scrap plywood about and a carriage bolt then one can make one that is as good for pretty much nothing. Just stack ply to the thickness you need, cut out a circle larger than the blade diameter, glue the stack to a backer, saw the whole thing to whatever shape you want, put a carriage bolt through the backer, bolt the blades onto it, and optionally put a cover piece on.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Can't comment on Forrest; however, the Freud set DEFINITELY needs to keep the chippers and outside blades separated.

I'd make some spacer washers from "door skin" plywood, the balance of the case from 3 layers of 3/8 ply.

That design will give you some router practice cutting inside circles.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I like all of the ideas, but was looking for something unique.

Reply to
Keith nuttle

Define "Unique" as it applies to this project.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

For a couple of ideas see:

Nova

Use coffee can lids between blades to keep the teeth from chipping.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Reeeeely? How do those things stack up on your arbor if they have to be seperated?

Reply to
Leon

I've got a Freud set. They're nested in certain positions on the arbour and in the carrier. The carbide on the outer blades is wider than the outer blades themselves which contributes to a cleaner cut.

Reply to
Upscale

That is what I was looking for, I am retired with a lot of time on my hands. That is what I meant by unique.

Reply to
Keith nuttle

The base diameter of each piece is the width that defines the chipper, blade, etc.

The carbide tooth is perhaps 1/16-3/32 wider than the base diameter thickness which requires the teeth to be staggered into spaces on adjacent cutters which is the means used to get a flat bottom dado.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

How about an octagonal box with a lift of cover held in position on the base with over center suit case latches?

Could always add a clown face clock image on the cover if you want to disguise things a little bit and create a whole new scroll saw inlay project.

How much time you got, I'm just getting started?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I had to buy a new set - and I chose carefully. The ply is in metric and has odd dimensions. Be sure you measure and check your set.

Glad a job I got paid for a new set at the time.

Mart>>> the chippers and outside blades separated.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The Forrest and most any outer set has carbide wider than the body of the blade. If you take the same care to store them away as you do as when you mount them on the arbor there should be no problem with storage.

Reply to
Leon

Correct, the Forrest dado set is that way also. Still the Forrest set is all stored on a bolt. If you store them the same way you stack them on the arbor there will be no problem.

Reply to
Leon

Leon is making a good point. they are made to lay against each other. You can go to great lengths to protect them or just store them carefully so the cutting edges don't hit each other.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M