dado blade storage

Page 1 of 2
The original package for my dado blades is finally dead.
Are there boxes, something that can be made in the shop to store all of the blades and chippers.
Are there plans, or am I over complicating the problem.

Depends. Do your dado blades reside in the workshop or do they get to go travelling places?
Keith nuttle wrote:

My Dado King came with a case. To store my other set, I just ran a 5/8" carriage bolt through a 10x10 piece of scrap plywood, and topped it off with a washer and wing nut.

Use coffee can lids between blades to keep the teeth from chipping.

Absolutely!
Probably yes to both questions.
Take a look at what Forrest uses for their Dado King dado blades. You can probably make something similar. There is no reason to keep the blades separated as they are not separate while spinning at 100 mph, something to consider when making a case.
"Leon" wrote:

Can't comment on Forrest; however, the Freud set DEFINITELY needs to keep the chippers and outside blades separated.
I'd make some spacer washers from "door skin" plywood, the balance of the case from 3 layers of 3/8 ply.
That design will give you some router practice cutting inside circles.<grin>
Lew

Reeeeely? How do those things stack up on your arbor if they have to be seperated?

keep
I've got a Freud set. They're nested in certain positions on the arbour and in the carrier. The carbide on the outer blades is wider than the outer blades themselves which contributes to a cleaner cut.
I had to buy a new set - and I chose carefully. The ply is in metric and has odd dimensions. Be sure you measure and check your set.
Glad a job I got paid for a new set at the time.
Martin
Upscale wrote:

Also advisable is a set of plastic shims. Lee Valley sells a set that has slots cut in them so the arbour nut doesn't have to be completely removed to add or resize a shim. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p0063&cat=1,41080,51225&ap=1
wrote in message

The Forrest and most any outer set has carbide wider than the body of the blade. If you take the same care to store them away as you do as when you mount them on the arbor there should be no problem with storage.
"Leon" wrote:

The base diameter of each piece is the width that defines the chipper, blade, etc.
The carbide tooth is perhaps 1/16-3/32 wider than the base diameter thickness which requires the teeth to be staggered into spaces on adjacent cutters which is the means used to get a flat bottom dado.
Lew

Correct, the Forrest dado set is that way also. Still the Forrest set is all stored on a bolt. If you store them the same way you stack them on the arbor there will be no problem.
"Leon" wrote:

Freud provides spacers.
Since it costs money to provide them, they evidently think they are necessary.
Lew

Spacers that come with the blades? Hmmm, the set I bought this past summer didn't include shims.
"Upscale" wrote:

Oranges and apples.
"Shims" are made from cardboard and are used to get an exact width dado.
"Spacers" are a clear plastic circles that interlock with the blade and/or chipper to insure that the carbide teeth do not come in contact with metal.
Lew

Ok then, I've learned something new. In any event, I didn't receive either. As far as what I was recommending from Lee Valley, I had shims on my mind.
Upscale wrote:

My CMT set came with a set of plastic shims in various thicknesses. They've held up well for the past 12 years.

"Upscale" wrote:

Go to a party supply place and get a package of foam plates, about 6" dia, and you have all the "spacers" you will ever need.
Lew

I'm not sure I need them Lew. The red plastic open faced case my stacked dado set came in didn't have spacers of any kind. Yes, the blades and chippers were spaced appropriately so the carbide tips didn't touch, but they remained where they were placed if the plastic nut hold everything in place was tightened even a little. And, when the set was on the tablesaw arbour, again I placed everything so no tips touched and they remained there when the arbour nut was tightened.