Curse you, digital calipers!

So goto HF and get the dial metal fractional. its worth the $19.99 I got it on sale for. It used to be $29, and is now regularly selling for

21.99 still worht it.

I might get another. Damn nice.

As far as plastic, I have never seen a plastic dial caliper, only vernier in plastic.

Yes I have a blindmans fractional digital from Lee Valley.. but I don't use it anymore. I have 3 other digitals.. having a dial fractional is easy to read and calculate. and no batteries.

Reply to
woodchucker

I took a look at the woodriver. They did not have good action, the HF unit beat it out. The woodriver was rough to move, and the bezel had no knurling and felt like soft aluminum.

The HF unit is a quality unit. At least mine is.

Reply to
woodchucker

I love my HF digital dial calipers. They are dead nuts on accurate. I am very suspect of any measuring devices (ok, any *thing,* really) with the woodriver name (who else sees that and thinks, "wood driver?" bad marketing) on it, after having checked several, maybe more than a dozen different squares, rules, tapes, and assorted other devices and found them to be as off as any HF tool I've ever tried.

NONE on the combination squares I tried were square. They were all off by a good 16" per foot and more. And yes, I checked my reference square and rechecked with a few other engineering squares.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Just trying to picture that...

;)

Reply to
alexy

Well, if anyone's still following this thread, my 4-inch dial caliper from Hardwick's arrived today (Seattle's not far away), and it's a good tool.

That little plastic one that I was mourning was a compact little piece of work, and actually shirt-pocket-sized. This one is just a somewhat shorter version of the usual sort of 6-inch capacity stainless steel fractional dial caliper, so it's not as compact. It's about 7 1/2" long, and fits an apron breast pocket pretty well but is a little too long for a shirt pocket. Visually, it looks just like the 6" iGaging fractional dial caliper that Rockler sells, but of course is a smaller length and is un-branded.

But it'll do, it'll do. The fractional dial is on the outer ring, where it belongs, and the usual major divisions are marked, with 1/64" minor divisions.

So if you'd like to have something like that in your shop, or your pocket, it's at

for $29.50, only a few bucks more than the plastic 6" ones I see around the web.

Best regards, Tom

Reply to
tdacon

LMAO! Oh, that's a great typo right there, huh? :-) Ok for anyone keeping score, I forgot the hyphen. 1/16"

Awesome.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Perhaps he was actually measuring with a triangle. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Welcome! Welcome to my club!

Reply to
Leon

Must be some damned Southern affliction, eh?

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks for the feedback ... I've got it on the wish list.

Reply to
Swingman

I thought about that reply after I sent mine. No fair. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'm about as Southern as the POTUS is Hawaiian. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I assumed he was a fisherman... ;~)

John