Curse you, digital calipers!

You are indeed practicing "attention to detail", and at a very exacting level, in order to accomplish your above.
It is not a matter of degree, it is a matter of context. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/18/2013 12:32 PM, Tom Dacon wrote:

Not plastic but what you are looking for...
http://www.ptreeusa.com/layout_products.htm#1241
or
http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2004440/8405/woodriver-fractional-dial-caliper.aspx
or
http://woodworker.com/6-fractional-dial-caliper-mssu-149-426.asp
http://woodworker.com/5-slide-caliper-mssu-946-638.asp (my favorite)
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-fractional-dial-caliper-92437.html
On 3/19/2013 10:27 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2004440/8405/woodriver-fractional-dial-caliper.aspx

I took a look at the woodriver. They did not have good action, the HF unit beat it out. The woodriver was rough to move, and the bezel had no knurling and felt like soft aluminum.
The HF unit is a quality unit. At least mine is.
--
Jeff

On 3/19/13 9:45 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I love my HF digital dial calipers. They are dead nuts on accurate. I am very suspect of any measuring devices (ok, any *thing,* really) with the woodriver name (who else sees that and thinks, "wood driver?" bad marketing) on it, after having checked several, maybe more than a dozen different squares, rules, tapes, and assorted other devices and found them to be as off as any HF tool I've ever tried.
NONE on the combination squares I tried were square. They were all off by a good 16" per foot and more. And yes, I checked my reference square and rechecked with a few other engineering squares.
--

-MIKE-

Just trying to picture that...
;)

On 3/21/13 10:04 PM, alexy wrote:

LMAO! Oh, that's a great typo right there, huh? :-) Ok for anyone keeping score, I forgot the hyphen. 1/16"
Awesome.
--

-MIKE-

On 3/22/2013 12:21 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Welcome! Welcome to my club!
On 3/22/2013 12:21 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Must be some damned Southern affliction, eh?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 3/22/13 8:52 AM, Swingman wrote:

I'm about as Southern as the POTUS is Hawaiian. :-)
--

-MIKE-

No the far north claimed it first. 8-)
Mike M
"-MIKE-" wrote in message wrote: >>> NONE on the combination squares I tried were square. They were all off

I assumed he was a fisherman... ;~)
John
On 3/21/2013 10:04 PM, alexy wrote:

Perhaps he was actually measuring with a triangle. ;~)
On 3/22/13 8:14 AM, Leon wrote:

I thought about that reply after I sent mine. No fair. :-)
--

-MIKE-

"Tom Dacon" wrote in message
So after I posted my petulant little rant, I headed off to the web to look once again for a 4-inch fractional caliper, and to my vast surprise someone has re-introduced such a thing into the market since the last time I scoured the web for it. A company I hadn't heard of called Hardwicks (http://www.ehardwicks.com ) in Seattle, "Rust and dust since 1932" offers both a 4-inch and a 6-inch fractional/decimal caliper, in metal, no less. And in stock. So I fired off an order right away for a four-incher - I'll see how it works out and report back, in case anyone cares except me.
But anyway, thanks for all your comments. Puckdropper had a good suggestion - if there was a little up or down arrow that was visible when the measurement was close to a major division, that would be pretty handy, even better if it showed you what that nearest division was. Although it leaves it up in the air what constitutes a major division - kind of depends on the precision you're working to, I guess. I like to work to a pretty close tolerance in the shop, but I'm a wooden boat guy not a cabinet maker, and these are the words I live by:
A cabinet maker works to the nearest 64th; a house builder works to the nearest 8th; a boat builder works to the nearest boat.
Tom