Crown moulding: what is the rule of thumb for sizing it to a room?

Hell, Bush is the first president that made me want to be a Democrat.
Now, if I could only find a Democrat that made me feel the same way.
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:06:58 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

JFK (no, not Kerry) was OK with me, and Scoop was the last one I could vote for - but they're both dead :-(
-Doug
Doug Winterburn wrote:

There was always Teddy. I really hope Senator Clinton can get it back for us.
Fri, Sep 26, 2003, 7:19pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (BayAreaDave) claims: <snip> They know I've plonked them, yet they continue to post replies. Just proves how juvenile they are and how little self control they have! Talk to the hand fellas, because Dave ain't listening.
Hmmm. Plonked. Post replies. You know they post replies. Hmmm. Wonder how you know that? LOL
Juvenile. Little self control. Hey, is that you, or them? LMAO
Question Dave. You're paying for this project, is that right? In that case, I don't see why you're asking anyone what size molding to put up (yeah, I know you put a u in there). It it was me, I'd put up any size I liked most.
OK, here's your rule of thumb: He who pays the piper, calls the tune. Next thing, you're probably gonna ask what color you should paint it. If so, just paint it Barney purple, and make the little kids happy.
Oops. Forgot, I'm probably long plonked. OK, you three that Dave still hasn't plonked, draw straws, and the loser (or winner) can pass this along to him. ROTFLMAO
JOAT If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again. - Terry Venables
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 25 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
JOAT, here's how I know. You are going to learn something today! I have them on my twit list. (With me SO far??) I use Netscape 7.1. Got that? Now here's the tricky part, JOAT, stay with me, big feller...I open up a log file that shows WHO has been filtered! Wow! Like magic, huh? It shows the time, the thread, and the miscreant's name. After a quick perusal to see how many times the filtering has saved me from looking at threads on religion, politics, sex on the Wreck, I also can see the names of the several bozos who just can't control themselves.
So, now you know how to know when some AH is still posting replies, without having to read said miscreant's BS.
Now why in the world would I plonk you, JOAT?? You have a sense of humor (wacky humor, but humor nonetheless). I wouldn't miss your silly little posts for the world. Buck up, JOAT, I'm HERE FOR YOU!
Now you are dredging up old history when I had a baker's dozen filtered. I've learned to be more tolerant in my old age.
It's about time for a beer, y'all...
dave
Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

Sat, Sep 27, 2003, 12:24am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (BayAreaDave) who puts out: JOAT, here's how I know. You are going to learn something today! <snip of something I don't care about>
Dave, Dave, Dave. It was a rhetorical question. I already knew you were doing it somehow, and really don't care how. What I was actually wondering, was why you would plonk someone, then keep track. Or, would that be keeping score? I'ts rehetorical too, don't answer.
So, now you know how to know when some AH is still posting replies, without having to read said miscreant's BS.
I guess that's only one of the differences between you and most of the rest of the world. We would plonk them, and forget them.
Now why in the world would I plonk you, JOAT??
Damn. I always get picked last.
You have a sense of humor (wacky humor, but humor nonetheless).
I have no sense of humor. Been told that plenty of times.
I wouldn't miss your silly little posts for the world.
Silly litle posts? ROTFLMAO Hell Dave, I'm the one who isn't asking about standards, if I should or shouldn't do something, what color to paint. I'm the one who makes up my own mind on my projects. See, you're still confused.
Buck up, JOAT, I'm HERE FOR YOU!
You're trying to depress me on purpose, aren't you?
Now you are dredging up old history when I had a baker's dozen filtered. I've learned to be more tolerant in my old age.
Well, gee Dave, you did make a big deal out of each plonk. So, now you're just paranoid instead? It's about time for a beer, y'all...
Alcohol is a deceiver.
Golly, I'm making some stacking shelves for my shop. Wonder if I should ask anyone what color to paint 'em? Oops, that's right, I'm not gonna paint 'em at all, probably. Uness I've got some white paint left. White paint on wood, yellow paint on tools. And didn't even ask anyone if I should paint my tools or not. Ooo, I feel so naughty. ROTFLMAO
JOAT If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again. - Terry Venables
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 26 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

You are a naughty rebel, aren't you? What's you next radical move :)
why do you get me confused with folks who asked about what color to paint their shops??
Being a newbie at woodworking, I like to find out about standards, where they exist. Why chide me for that???
As far as "keeping track" of the miscreants, that's not quite accurate. I go into the filter screen to see how filled up the log file is. I love to see lots of crap there, knowing it doesn't show up on the Wreck. Crap like political and religious cross postings. Also in the list will be many posts by the miscreants to threads that I have started or participated in. I find them all quite pathetic, but I don't go out of my way to keep track!
To ME you appear to have a sense of humor. I don't think that there are many folks with NO sense of humor. Some just appear at a casual glance not to have any, but when you get to know them, it's apparent they do. My recently deceased father-in-law was a perfect example. To a stranger he'd appear grouchy, but he could be in a perfectly good mood and crack jokes, but he APPEARED (facial expression) to be really grumpy. I can see past the grumpy exterior.
It's too bad you've formed a negative opinion of me due to a some misunderstandings. I still don't wish you any ill will. To others that I've tangled with here, I regret I can't offer the same sentiment.
dave
Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

Sat, Sep 27, 2003, 10:49pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (BayAreaDave) laments: why do you get me confused with folks who asked about what color to paint their shops??
Hard to say. Being a newbie at woodworking, I like to find out about standards, where they exist. Why chide me for that???
If you will recall, you are the same guy that compared working from plans to paint-by-numbers.
As far as "keeping track" of the miscreants, that's not quite accurate. I go into the filter screen to see how filled up the log file is.
Different point of view, I guess, it looks like keeping score to me.
I love to see lots of crap there, knowing it doesn't show up on the Wreck. <snip>
Been a long time since I've worked with computers, but wouldn't it still be there, and you just not seeing it?
To ME you appear to have a sense of humor. <snip>
Oh, I do really, but few people have similar backgrounds, and usually don't understand it.
To a stranger he'd appear grouchy, but he could be in a perfectly good mood and crack jokes, but he APPEARED (facial expression) to be really grumpy. I can see past the grumpy exterior.
Uh, Dave? I'm usually always smiling, the picture on my web page is a prime example, and am easy going. But, when you get past my so-called grumpy exterior, you reach the guy who keeps a loaded handgun in the house. Easily accessible.
It's too bad you've formed a negative opinion of me due to a some misunderstandings. <snip>
Dave, Dave, Dave. You say you don't work with plans, and then you'll ask some question you should be able to figure out on your own. Like what direction the grain on a privacy panel should run. You're not the only one. There are plenty more out there who could solve their own problems, including looking in their local hardware shore before asking here to find something. You all need to spend your time on the throne thinking, instead of just vegetating.
I've got nothing against you, but you're just so confusing. I've said it before - to you too - and I'll say it again: Very basic, fully covered under, he who pays, calls the tune. If it's your money, your project, the proper technique is, any damn way you feel like doing it. As far as aesthetics go, same thing, your money, your project, paint it any damn color you want.
JOAT If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again. - Terry Venables
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 26 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
I thought we'd fully discussed working from plans. did I not say that I wrote the question in a provocative manner to elicit some discussion? did I also not agree that some use of plans finally made sense to me, but not just the blind following to the letter of someone else's plans for every project a WW did? remember that? remember I changed my point of view. YOu are bringing up old history when you mention my attitude towards plans. I wanted to know what others thought, and most of their responses said that they use plans "to some extent". Please don't hit me over the head with the "plan" thing any more. That's out of date.
Next point: What on earth is wrong with asking a very BASIC question about grain direction on a wood working NG? I DO know already that cathedrals point up. But I don't know which way grain is supposed to run on a wide piece of veneered plywood used on various parts of a desk. Why do you attack me personally when I ask those questions. Seems quite rude and nasty to me. I'm at a loss wondering why no one ever steps up to the plate to harass you as I get harassed if I ever get short with somebody.
What is the point in telling me you have a loaded weapon??? So? Lot's of folks keep guns around. Did I tell you I've got a loaf of bread in the kitchen? It's about as relevant to this discussion.
dave
Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Dave, the world is a mirror. What you see when you look out is what the world sees when it looks at you.
Your questions are usually reasonable. The types of responses you get are in direct response to your history here. If you would change your online 'tude a bit, you would get very different responses. I suspect that would start after a fairly short period of time.

Like when they show that bottoms belong in drawers?
Hey, that stapled-on-the-bottom-edge drawer bottom is holding up fine, I'll have you know! :) Besides I got an extra 1/2" depth in that drawer. <g> Sure glad I didn't have to make 4 more drawer sides; it took quite a while doing the dovetails.
dave
PM6564 wrote:

Two things to say. Filters. Blocked senders list. There are plenty of people to read, without putting up with a*s holes. -- Jim in NC
Jim,
Rest assured I've got the most egregious miscreants tucked away in electronic never-never land. They've got plenty of friends, so they can do without my endorsement.
dave
Morgans wrote:

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

Which way is the grain going to run on the shelves; horizontal or vertical, or maybe diagonal? Hank (just wondering)
Sun, Sep 28, 2003, 12:39am snipped-for-privacy@mhonline.net (HenrySt.Pierre) who asks: Which way is the grain going to run on the shelves; horizontal or vertical, or maybe diagonal? Hank (just wondering)
It makes a difference?
JOAT If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again. - Terry Venables
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 26 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /

if the baseboards are only 3.25 i would use 2.75 crown. things tend to look strange when the base is smaller than the crown. if you are staining the smaller crown looks better. if painted a similar color to the wall larger looks beter. i would get some scraps of different sizes and finish them and tack em up on diffwerent walls and then make a decision as to what i liked best.