Crown moulding: what is the rule of thumb for sizing it to a room?

What size molding for a 13x17 room: 3.25" or 4.7". Ceiling height is 8'

6". The baseboards are 3.25"

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On 26 Sep 2003, Bay Area Dave demanded:

I'd recommend twice the length plus twice the width, with a little extra for coping.

Reply to
Scott_Cramer

I'm looking into doing a 14 x 19 room with 9 foot ceilings, not that much bigger than yours. I thought the piece of

3.25 I had on hand and tried for a fitup looked real lost in that room.

When the builder sucks people in for the optional crown molding for that room, he uses something I crudely measured at 5 inches and it looks right. They use 3.25 baseboards and the baseboards and nominal 5 inch crown molding look good together in the model home. The $800 option charge didn't look right though ;-)

I hadn't actually considered the difference between the 3.25 baseboards and the ~5 inch crown moldings until you mentioned it. I'm kind of fussy about things looking balanced, so the fact that I hadn't noticed it is good.

The room also has the standard smallish 2.25 door moldings and they look OK with the wide crown molding too.

I'm going to do the wide crown molding then select window moldings by buying a few samples and seeing which looks best.

Rico

Reply to
Rico

thanks Rico. I was leaning towards the larger size. As soon as the traffic eases, I'm on my way to the store! Oh, I forgot to mention; the molding will be oak, stained to match the floor, plus a chair rail of oak...

dave

Rico wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I prefer 3.141592. That way the dimensions are simple as 'pi'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

cf: The Four Books of Architecture, Andrea Palladio, Dover, 1965 (orig. 1570).

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

OK, just for you, I'll special order moldings in that size. 8 times the price and i'll wait 3 weeks for it. You are SO helpful. like CW and Larry, and Groggy, and most of all like Cramer. Perhaps you've all been getting together on a regular basis for MEK sniffing parties. You should donate your bodies to science for scientific study of damaged DNA.

If nothing else, they are PERSISTENT. They know I've plonked them, yet they continue to post replies. Just proves how juvenile they are and how little self control they have! Talk to the hand fellas, because Dave ain't listening.

dave

Robert B> >

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:19:30 GMT,Tail Gunner Dave wept:

Queeg moves the balls ever more rapidly, their rythymless clicking magnified in the otherwise silent room.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

if the baseboards are only 3.25 i would use 2.75 crown. things tend to look strange when the base is smaller than the crown. if you are staining the smaller crown looks better. if painted a similar color to the wall larger looks beter. i would get some scraps of different sizes and finish them and tack em up on diffwerent walls and then make a decision as to what i liked best.

Reply to
skeezics

It's not every day that a woodDorker can squeeze in a reference to the Caine Mutiny, much less so exquisitely accurately. Actually Dave, if you look at Tom's (oh wait, you've plonked him?) first response, you might experience dangerous levels of enlightenment.

And a trip to the LEEbrary wouldn't hurt.

O'Deen

--

- Home of the World-Famous Original Crowbar FAQ

Reply to
Patrick Olguin (O'Deen)

yeah, yeah, yeah, and if a tree falls in the forest with no one around, does it make a sound? Tom, you've should go build some cabinets. or is your sig line a fraud? You, also cannot resist the temptation to join the fray, huh? sigh...

dave

Tom Wats> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:19:30 GMT,Tail Gunner Dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

One thing you can say for sure, he sure do paint a pitcher with werds, even if they aren't/weren't his to begin with.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:39:40 -0400, Tom Watson pixelated:

He's close there. I'm donating my body to science fiction.

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

LOL! Ol' BAD needs to lighten up.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Fri, Sep 26, 2003, 7:19pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bay=A0Area=A0Dave) claims: They know I've plonked them, yet they continue to post replies. Just proves how juvenile they are and how little self control they have! Talk to the hand fellas, because Dave ain't listening.

Hmmm. Plonked. Post replies. You know they post replies. Hmmm. Wonder how you know that? LOL

Juvenile. Little self control. Hey, is that you, or them? LMAO

Question Dave. You're paying for this project, is that right? In that case, I don't see why you're asking anyone what size molding to put up (yeah, I know you put a u in there). It it was me, I'd put up any size I liked most.

OK, here's your rule of thumb: He who pays the piper, calls the tune. Next thing, you're probably gonna ask what color you should paint it. If so, just paint it Barney purple, and make the little kids happy.

Oops. Forgot, I'm probably long plonked. OK, you three that Dave still hasn't plonked, draw straws, and the loser (or winner) can pass this along to him. ROTFLMAO

JOAT If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again.

- Terry Venables

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 25 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Keith,

You are at your most eloquent when you reply with a blank message.

dave

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

JOAT, here's how I know. You are going to learn something today! I have them on my twit list. (With me SO far??) I use Netscape 7.1. Got that? Now here's the tricky part, JOAT, stay with me, big feller...I open up a log file that shows WHO has been filtered! Wow! Like magic, huh? It shows the time, the thread, and the miscreant's name. After a quick perusal to see how many times the filtering has saved me from looking at threads on religion, politics, sex on the Wreck, I also can see the names of the several bozos who just can't control themselves.

So, now you know how to know when some AH is still posting replies, without having to read said miscreant's BS.

Now why in the world would I plonk you, JOAT?? You have a sense of humor (wacky humor, but humor nonetheless). I wouldn't miss your silly little posts for the world. Buck up, JOAT, I'm HERE FOR YOU!

Now you are dredging up old history when I had a baker's dozen filtered. I've learned to be more tolerant in my old age.

It's about time for a beer, y'all...

dave

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

why do you guys keep saying i've plonked everyone? Tom is not plonked. hardly anyone is. just a handful of folks with no redeeming qualities. I'm sure you'd say that about me too. You guys here are sure a lot more cranky than folks in the real world. every time i've given someone grief there has been a good reason. So what is YOUR reason on this thread for being a jerk? I asked a serious question about proportions of rooms vs crown molding. Can't think of anything profound to say, so you resort to playground behavior. grow up

dave

Patrick Olgu> Tom Wats>

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

TGD seems to think we actually give a sh*t. Maybe if I post a picture of me shrugging....

Groggy (who's very happy with his 4" starrett square TYVM)

So, who *are* these mystery "admirers" of his?

Reply to
Groggy

Pam Needsaminder, Man In The Doorway, Puppy Wizard. Pretty much anyone who can match his signal to noise ratio.

UA100, Starrett owner...

Reply to
Unisaw A100