Crown moulding: what is the rule of thumb for sizing it to a room?

Page 1 of 3
What size molding for a 13x17 room: 3.25" or 4.7". Ceiling height is 8' 6". The baseboards are 3.25"
dave
On 26 Sep 2003, Bay Area Dave demanded:

I'd recommend twice the length plus twice the width, with a little extra for coping.
Bay Area Dave wrote:

I'm looking into doing a 14 x 19 room with 9 foot ceilings, not that much bigger than yours. I thought the piece of 3.25 I had on hand and tried for a fitup looked real lost in that room.
When the builder sucks people in for the optional crown molding for that room, he uses something I crudely measured at 5 inches and it looks right. They use 3.25 baseboards and the baseboards and nominal 5 inch crown molding look good together in the model home. The $800 option charge didn't look right though ;-)
I hadn't actually considered the difference between the 3.25 baseboards and the ~5 inch crown moldings until you mentioned it. I'm kind of fussy about things looking balanced, so the fact that I hadn't noticed it is good.
The room also has the standard smallish 2.25 door moldings and they look OK with the wide crown molding too.
I'm going to do the wide crown molding then select window moldings by buying a few samples and seeing which looks best.
Rico
thanks Rico. I was leaning towards the larger size. As soon as the traffic eases, I'm on my way to the store! Oh, I forgot to mention; the molding will be oak, stained to match the floor, plus a chair rail of oak...
dave
Rico wrote:

I prefer 3.141592. That way the dimensions are simple as 'pi'. <groan>

cf: The Four Books of Architecture, Andrea Palladio, Dover, 1965 (orig. 1570).
OK, just for you, I'll special order moldings in that size. 8 times the price and i'll wait 3 weeks for it. You are SO helpful. like CW and Larry, and Groggy, and most of all like Cramer. Perhaps you've all been getting together on a regular basis for MEK sniffing parties. You should donate your bodies to science for scientific study of damaged DNA.
If nothing else, they are PERSISTENT. They know I've plonked them, yet they continue to post replies. Just proves how juvenile they are and how little self control they have! Talk to the hand fellas, because Dave ain't listening.
dave
Robert Bonomi wrote:

wept:

    Queeg moves the balls ever more rapidly, their rythymless          clicking magnified in the otherwise silent room.

Tom Watson wrote:

It's not every day that a woodDorker can squeeze in a reference to the Caine Mutiny, much less so exquisitely accurately. Actually Dave, if you look at Tom's (oh wait, you've plonked him?) first response, you might experience dangerous levels of enlightenment.
And a trip to the LEEbrary wouldn't hurt.
O'Deen
-- http://www.klownhammer.org/ - Home of the World-Famous Original Crowbar FAQ
why do you guys keep saying i've plonked everyone? Tom is not plonked. hardly anyone is. just a handful of folks with no redeeming qualities. I'm sure you'd say that about me too. You guys here are sure a lot more cranky than folks in the real world. every time i've given someone grief there has been a good reason. So what is YOUR reason on this thread for being a jerk? I asked a serious question about proportions of rooms vs crown molding. Can't think of anything profound to say, so you resort to playground behavior. grow up
dave
Patrick Olguin (O'Deen) wrote:

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 00:29:44 GMT,Tail Gunner Dave

Billy was sucked back through the chronosynclasticindinfundibulum to yet another when, with different hows and whys. Reality was so plastic. He wished he knew the secret of the Trafalmadorians.
said wonderingly:

Dave Wildhack, that must be it!
Greg

But you don't recognize a serious answer, when couched playfully, even when somebody hits you in the face with it.
The answer to your question is "what looks right *to*you*". You're the one who's going to have to "live with" the consequences of your decision.
Best thing to do is mock up a corner, in place, in each size. Then stand back and *LOOK* at it. See which you like better.

Robert,
I AGREE that the best approach is to buy small pieces of both sizes and try it. seeing as I'm using stained oak, I anticipate it will look "larger" than the same size white trim, but that's just a guess...
dave
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

All the more reason to try it.

I'd be _real_ surprised if it didn't. Dark against light tends to "show" bigger than light against dark.
Other significant factor for what 'looks right' is how high the ceiling is. the further up it is, the bigger the moulding you can get away with.

Damn, if'n O'Deen grew up any more, he'd have ta live outdoors.

Oh, I don't know... that you get your underwear in a wad anytime someone looks at you sideways?

You got a serious answer from Tom, and unfortunately you were so busy getting ruffled, you huffed right past my actual advice.
Since you asked about the rule(s) of thumb for sizing moulding to a room, it sounded like you were looking for overall information on design and proportion.
I suggested a visit to the LEEbrary (see, the LEEbrary is a reference to an old-time rec.normer named Lee Ward, and his favorite solution to any woodworking problem was to head out to the library, but then one day (that's a 24-hour period, approximating the time it takes this planetary spheroid, third from the Sun, sometimes known as Earth, to complete one revolution on its axis - though it appears that our sun, also known as Sol, rises in the east and sets in the west, the Earth in fact is spinning. The actual velocity of the rotation depends on the degrees of latitude north or south of the equator. For instance, at the equator the velocity is approximately 1041 mph. At Cape Canaveral, the velocity is a bit less, at 937mph. This rotational velocity is the reason while vehicles intended for orbit or deep space, are launched to the east - to take advantage of this added velocity. As a matter of fact, this IS rocket science. DAMHIKT) someone thought that LEEbrary was funny, and so it stuck, and that's how it became the LEEbrary, and so when I said LEEbrary, I was using an old rec.norm joke - rec.norm is a reference to this Usenet newsgroup known as rec.woodworking, but another guy, Patrick Leach, a rather confrontational, irreverent, broad-shouldered Irish bastard who knows a lot about tools - handtools in particular. One day (we've covered that already, refer to earlier definition) he dubbed this newsgroup: rec.norm, an obvious reference to the bulk of the traffic being discussion of power tools, the favorite of Norm Abram - host of the New Yankee Workshop; Norm doesn't actually own the tools, the show is shot in the producer's shop, a gentleman known as Russ Morash. Though his show does lean toward power tool usage, Norm often employs hand tools. Norm is apparently a very nice man, and I even have autographed pictures of him although I don't know where they are at this moment, my inkling being they're located at my ex-wife's house, a house I used to co-own and had done many improvements, most of them uncompensated. I have no proof that's she's attempting to hide the autographed pictures and sell them, but I digress. Note that it is Abram, not Abrams, Abraham, Abrahams, Ahab, Abib, Alisha, Alicia. Elijah, Elisha, Armand nor Armageddon. It's Abram, always will be Abram and any misspelling is not, nor every shall be acceptable. And so I was using this established reference to a library (LEEbrary) - a public repository of books, magazines, Internet access, newspapers, the Reader's Guide to Perdiodical Literature, videos, 16mm film and other media. The assumption being that a good library (previously defined) might hold resources, namely books on architecture (there are many periods, you might want to stick to one period per the room, my wife's favorites are Art Deco and Art Nouveau, although she's also a huge fan of American A&C, Greene&Greene, Frank Lloyd Wright - not to be confused with Andrew Lloyd Webber and most of the Stickleys) where there is a good chance that at least several of the books will provide guidelines, a.k.a. "rules of thumb," for proportion and design when it comes to architectural millwork (the topic under which crown moulding falls) and that perhaps if you were to read several of these books or at least the pertinent chapters, you might glean the information you so desire.
That's what I meant when I typed (beginning on the home-row of a QWERTY keyboard):

If that isn't profound enough for you. Tough. Now leave me alone, I've got a kickball game to return to. Oh yeah - and don't call me names, you big weenie!
Sincerely, O'Deen
On 30 Sep 2003 10:51:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Patrick Olguin) wrote:

The "T" was crossed The cannons roared The small ship sank With all aboard
(uh oh, I seem to have gone from BAD to verse)
LOL! good one!
dave