crown moulding cuts

I am trying to cut crown moulding for an outside corner. set my ras to 45 degrees to the right and set the blade to 45 degrees also for a compound miter cut. However the peices do not line up what is the correct compound angles to cut to make this work?

Reply to
dave

Rodger Podlogar

Dave,

This won't help you this evening, but get yourself a copy of "How To Master The Radial Saw" from

to find out how to easily cut this joint on the RAS. You can make a auxiliary fence that is 90 degrees from the fence and cut this joint at 45 degs and not using the bevel.

Reply to
Rumpty

Rocker

has a plastic jig for making these cuts, as does Crown Jig
have not used either one, but saw them at the Woodworking Show over the weekend. The Rocker jig has you change which direction the 45 degree is made (left or right). The Crown Jig just uses the left 45 deg setting and you swap the jig around to make the cuts.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Mike Iglesias responds:

over 18 before heading to Rocker. Could that have been Rockler?

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

Forget about a compound cut--it's too complicated even if you know trig. Carpet tape four small blocks to your miter saw fence and cut your moulding upside down. I like to set the saw at a (very) slightly sharper angle to create a tight joint. Then I burnish the corner with a screw driver shaft. I don't know how many times friends have asked me to crown their house--it's not as hard as some say especially if you can stand on your head.

Reply to
Phisherman

I seem to remermber the last time I cut some 5 1/2" crown, too wide for my miter saw, I ended up with 30 degrees tilt and 36 degrees angle. I made a lot of firewood before I figured it out. Use some scrap to test the cuts.

Reply to
Gfretwell

Very few walls intersect at a 90 deg angle. Get yourself a angle finder, someting that reads to 1 deg or less. That and some geometry will get you the correct miter and bevel for the cut. I bought a Bosch angle finder that calculates the miter and bevel cut from the wall angle. eg if your corner is 88.5deg and you are using 30deg crown molding the miter angle is 27deg and the bevel angle is 38deg.

Also, check out

You can download a spreadsheet that gives you all the angles for the cuts once you know what the corner angle is.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Ahrens

That was pretty bad. Don't know how that happened. Yes, I meant Rockler.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Try this site:

Allyn Vaughn