Crown molding w/ popcorn ceiling?

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:40:44 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"

Be cautious (of telling anyone) about removing it. You see, popcorn could contain some of that
ALERT ALERT ALERT --= dastardly foul asbestos =-- ALERT ALERT ALERT
and it'd cost you a mint to get rid of it.
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 13:22:06 -0700, Larry Jaques

It doesn't necessarily contain asbestos and if it does it's not dangerous once it's been wetted. The glop is not going to jump into your lungs.

Nonsense. Throw it in the landfill. It is *not* dangerous.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Between 'wipe wet' and 'prime' I would add 'skim float and sand (or sponge).'
Dave in Houston
Add pictures here
βœ–

Without a doubt, because a ceiling is normally not finished as well when it will be getting popcorn spray. You have to fix the damage from scraping and then build it back to smooth finish quality, then sand.
I know how to do it. I have done it. I hire it done, for me. <g>
Jim in NC
Add pictures here
βœ–
Morgans wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one playing with drywall mud. It almost gives one a Raison d'κtre--never any doubt about whether there is work that needs to be done! ; )
Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm with Jim. If it's more than 2 s/f, I prefer to hire it done. It's heavy, dusty, messy work. Ceilings are sheer hell, even with a lift.
It is, however, one of those jobs that's immensely satisfying. The before-and-afters are distinct!
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Add pictures here
βœ–
GarageWoodworks wrote:

I do this all the time. Mix some water and dish soap or vinegar in a garden sprayer and wet the ceiling well, let it penetrate the popcorn then scrape with a wide drywall blade. Repair any damaged areas and the taped joints. The drywallers don't spend much time making ceiling right when they know popcorn will be applied. I then clean ceiling with a wet sponge and spray a light texture on it, prime and paint.....
Try this method using vinegar. It only works on ceiling that haven't been painted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?vtrr71tZN8U

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Awesome! Love it.
-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Add pictures here
βœ–

That was awesome!
Add pictures here