Crown molding w/ popcorn ceiling?

Lol. Too funny!

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Yes, my wife told me it was. She did 99% of it. Painting the popcorn is a PITA also. It may be better with light diffusion or sound, or something, but IMO, it look chap and tacky compared to a plain white, smooth ceiling.

She sprayed it with water and a few drops of detergent, scraped, then with a wet sponge wiped any residue left.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

------------------------------------ Recently one of the DIY shows went thru this process.

Covered the floor with plastic and went to work.

IMHO, it's the kind of job you sub out.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm with Jim. If it's more than 2 s/f, I prefer to hire it done. It's heavy, dusty, messy work. Ceilings are sheer hell, even with a lift.

It is, however, one of those jobs that's immensely satisfying. The before-and-afters are distinct!

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Drag your scraper, don't push it. The popcorn should come off very easily.

Reply to
Leon

Scraping off _too_ much popcorn finish...? Umm, that's not possible. When it's all gone, that's just enough. The stuff is an abomination. Popcorn is the builder's eraser - it hides a multitude of sins. The very fact that the subject comes up in a woodworking group makes me shudder.

RicodJour

I do this all the time. Mix some water and dish soap or vinegar in a garden sprayer and wet the ceiling well, let it penetrate the popcorn then scrape with a wide drywall blade. Repair any damaged areas and the taped joints. The drywallers don't spend much time making ceiling right when they know popcorn will be applied. I then clean ceiling with a wet sponge and spray a light texture on it, prime and paint.....

Try this method using vinegar. It only works on ceiling that haven't been painted...

Rich

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That was awesome!

Reply to