Crown molding w/ popcorn ceiling?

Any more difficult than a flat ceiling?

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

er smooth ceiling, not flat.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Mark the position of the crown on the ceiling relative to the wall. Measure that distance and scrape the popcorn. Believe me, I've been there.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

Not really. You just will need to run a bead of caulk around the edge, and that will be more difficult than a smooth ceiling.

Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

This is the correct way. Much easier and more correct looking than caulk. When I do crown, I put strips of blue tape up at the correct spacing from the wall. Scraping off the popcorn will produce a nice line at the correct spacing.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I got rid of the popcorn crap in my house. Crown molding is an elegant touch that is screwed up by a seriously marred ceiling with all those little bubbles on it.

Wet, scrape, wipe wet, prime, paint, admire. Worth the effort.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sounds very appealing. And messy. I need to give this serious thought.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

I can see myself scraping too much in areas and having gaps. ?

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Rip down any put up new drywall, start fresh.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Be cautious (of telling anyone) about removing it. You see, popcorn could contain some of that

ALERT ALERT ALERT --= dastardly foul asbestos =-- ALERT ALERT ALERT

and it'd cost you a mint to get rid of it.

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When you do it, it's usually removed entirely, from all areas. Mud and sand any flaws before priming (very important) and painting.

-- Some people hear voices. Some see invisible people. Others have no imagination whatsoever.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Between 'wipe wet' and 'prime' I would add 'skim float and sand (or sponge).'

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

I suppose I was lucky; I had a flexible blade that happened to be the correct width leaving a uniform 1/8 inch between texture and crown (or cove in my case).

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave In Texas

"GarageWoodworks" wrote

Plan on about 8 to 10 man hours per 100 square feet. That is if you are fast.

Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

"Dave In Texas" wrote

Without a doubt, because a ceiling is normally not finished as well when it will be getting popcorn spray. You have to fix the damage from scraping and then build it back to smooth finish quality, then sand.

I know how to do it. I have done it. I hire it done, for me.

Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

I completely agree. BTDT a dozen or more times. One house I bought had stalactites 3-5" long hanging from the dining room ceiling. Just awful. Brought out my Gransfors, one guy carrying slabs out, then two of us new drywall on the ceiling. Done in a day, not including mud. Another had popcorn and I sprayed it with an airless, looked good and fresh....a month later, I tore it down too.

Reply to
Robatoy

It doesn't necessarily contain asbestos and if it does it's not dangerous once it's been wetted. The glop is not going to jump into your lungs.

Nonsense. Throw it in the landfill. It is *not* dangerous.

Reply to
krw

I'm glad I'm not the only one playing with drywall mud. It almost gives one a Raison d'être--never any doubt about whether there is work that needs to be done! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Don't count it out until you give it a try. Not all that stuff is the same. There's a good chance that it will fall right off with a putty knife. If it's the loose stuff, you can have the knife in one hand and the shop vac in the other to minimize clean up.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Was looking for a house to buy in Rockville, MD 30 years ago and the realtor meets us for a showing of a place with the owners at home (not the best circumstances). She, the realtor, meets us at the curb and tells us that the ceiling in the LR and DR are kind of unique but we should keep in mind that we could make a sale provisional on something else being done. About this time the owner comes out the front door so she has no time to tell us more.

Guy had done the LR and DR ceilings in Stalactites! Yes, like in a cave. Some of these things were hanging low enough that a six footer would have been getting a gashed head. Wife and I couldn't look at each other as we Knew we'd bust out laughing. Some discussion was held in the LR and I kept finding my gaze wandering up to the ceiling ... It wasn't the 'deal breaker', but it sure was entertaining. Realtor told us they'd tried in vain to get the owner to put the ceilings back to something normal.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser