Crosscut sled opinions

Page 2 of 2

I am not an expert in crosscut sleds but, I have made three. The first and second using 3/4" maple/birch plywood and hard maple fences. The first one lasted not more than a few days and the second lasted about two months, it warps/twisted and finally falls apart after I dropped it.
I made the third one yesterday from the Dec. 2003 issue of Popular Woodworking's Jigs & Shop Tips. (Still available in bookstores or newsstands). What make this one outstanding is, it is adjustable and can handle panels up to 24" wide and 36" long. I will make another smaller one from the materials left over. This time the fence will be in the back rather than in the front and will replace the UHMW miter bar or slide beneath with Lee Valley's miter slide.