CuttingPlexiglass

I am making some bird feeders that have 1/4'' plexiglass panels. I cut some plexiglass on the tablesaw and it chipped all along the edge.

How do you cut this stuff without any chipout?

-Thanks Brian

Reply to
stoutman

George M. Kazaka

I read on a site that scoring on each side with a utility knife & snapping works. Never tried it myself.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

There are specialty acrylic blades, but they're expensive... I used to do alot of aquarium related work with plexiglass, and have found that cutting a bit over dimenion with a decent combo blade and then joniting the edges works very well.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I agree with George. I have cut Lexan, Plexiglas, FRP, Santana, PVC pipe, and probably another dozen types of plastic in a table saw. The only ones that I have had any trouble with was old (many years old) plastic lenses from fluorescent fixtures.

I use a carbide blade with ATB teeth, nothing special, not any huge quantity of teeth. I have a zero clearance plate on my saw at all times, this may be the difference. Take a piece of scrap ply, masonite, or even cardboard; lower the blade; tape the scrap to the table top; turn on the saw; raise the blade up and through the sacrificial material. Try the cut again to see if it makes a substantial difference.

DanG

Works Quite well. You Can run it down a jointer after that is you want too.

Thanks, Tony D.

Reply to
anthony diodati

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 17:22:35 GMT, "stoutman" scribbled

I've had good success using a triple chip grind blade (those designed for melamine & laminates).

Luigi Zanasi

I did not have a problem cutting plexi on the tablesaw using a ply or laminate blade (one with a lot of teeth). No chipping. A jigsaw or bandsaw will work too, but the edge will need a little filing and sanding. Another method is to sandwich the thin plexi with a same-sized hardboard.

Reply to
Phisherman

It is real important to score a straight line. If it wavers, the break can go anywhere. (been there, repeatedly.)

Reply to
Toller

Put your blade on backwards. No chips even with a sloppy saw, cold thin plexiglass, & coarse blade. It leaves a nice finish.

Reply to
dave martin

I'm gonna give that a try.

I don't wanna have to buy a new saw blade just to cut some Plexiglas.

-Thanks to all who posted.

Reply to
stoutman

I've had good results with a good quality 40 tooth general purpose blade on the tablesaw; Forrest WWII and the Oldham top of the line blade both worked well.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

stoutman wandered in from the void and babbled something like:

I generally score my lexan and plexi with a scoring knife made just for this purpose, then snap it over the sharp edge of a piece of wood. It can be touched up on a joiner, if neccessary. The folding scoring knifes cost about $3.00. Works like a charm.

FWIW, Greg

Reply to
Greg G.

I've cut a lot of it with a straight edge and a scribe by cutting about half way through with the scribe, making numerous passes of course, then sandwiching between to boards with a sharp edged board on the underside and just behind the scribe line and snapping it downwards. Works great!

Reply to
Grandpa

Reply to
DAN & CINDY

I got minimal chipping by only raising the blade far enough for the tips of the teeth to clear the work, and then applying masking tape to both faces before cutting.

Reply to
Jimlemon

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

- Arthur C Clarke

Reply to
Ehvee8or

"stoutman" wrote in news:8O7Db.394029$ao4.1303244@attbi_s51:

be careful with this approach...if you knock a tooth off, you'll have a little bullet coming atcha......

Reply to
stickdoctorq