Craps-man tools who makes em?

Page 2 of 2
Charlie Self wrote:

Has nothing to do with yuppiness. I was about to give up with anything that required a router out of frustration. But decided it can't be that I'm that bad so I went and bought a PC and found out it wasn't me screwing up all that wood, most of the time anyway :) Its about using the right tool for the job, a craftsman router is designed to be used once or twice and sit on the shelf, a better brand that isn't much more expensive is designed to be used to make things. Same with any other tools, buy a wrench from wal mart and it won't last if you try to rebuild an engine but if you just tighten a loose bolt on the swing set it will probably work fine. Your would be much better off to buy a used quality tool than a new cheap tool. I have a nice new almost never used black and decker jigsaw which won't cut a straight line not matter what kind of blade I feed it so it was a complete waste of money. So is someone who can't afford to start someone who has money to throw away? Is it better for someone to spend $100 on a router, have it ruin a first project and get frustrated and throw it away and walk away from the hobby that they could have enjoyed?

I must just be lucky.. my ol' craftsman router is as accurate and the day I got it, and beside occasional use for over 20 years, it spent 3 years in a commercial routing table, edge rounding all day...

Key Words: 20 years
Older Craftsman tools are better than what they make now.
Ed Pawlowski responds:

Some are, some aren't. Case in point: the new Craftsman table saws.
Charlie Self "There are two ways of exerting one's strength: one is pushing down, the other is pulling up." Booker T. Washington

everything was built better in the old days... (at least that's what I always tell my wife)
mac davis wrote:

20 years ago they made good stuff. 2-3 years old (like the one I had) and it won't be

no shit... last night, my wife gave me a Craftsman 1/2" cordless drill driver for an early b-day present... it says "made in china" all over it..

On the plus side you have a wife who buys you power tools. You lucky bugger.
Fraser
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:08:50 +0800, "Fraser Johnston"

for sure... not even my b-day until the weekend and she's already raided my online wish list and got me the drill, a recip saw and an amplified fm antenna for the shop... no telling WHAT might be arriving this weekend! lol

I think you'll find that there's only a few that knock Craftsman.
I've bought many tools from Sears...including a nice router...that I've had for years.
Tools are like cars. If yer goin' to the grocery store, do you need a Mustang?...or a Town Car? And which one do you WANT? lol
Have a nice one...
Trent

wow.. you rang a bell there, Trent! The router that I've been using for over 20 years and never thought about brand-wise is a craftsman... After all the use and abuse of just about all of my friends and neighbors, and me once in a while, I had my first problem with it last week.. The return spring on the little arm that locks the shaft for bit changes broke... I replaced it with one I had (I never throw ANYTHING away) in about 20 min... most of that time was taken to clean under and around the faceplate for the 1st time ever..

I like mine, Mac. I think I paid just over $100 for it...and that included the router table!
Then I bought a plunge router attachment for my RotoZip.
Don't get me wrong...I've returned a few things...and not just at Sears, of course. But I've never gotten a hard time taking anything back to Sears.
Have a nice one...
Trent

I've never had a problem returning or exchanging tools at sears... even when I screw up and abuse it so bad that it breaks.. I took in a 3/4" breaker bar that we broke in half (you don't want to know how *g*) and the guy at sears took a look at it, got me a new one, then sat down and asked how the hell I broke it.. *lmao*
The first 3 numbers of the sears model number are a code to the manufacturer. You can do google search and find links like: http://www.edgeta.org/sears.htm . For example, my (very) old Craftman router model 315.17370 is made by Ryan (whoever that is).
Wayne

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 13:58:21 -0400, striker

Each tool is bid on individually, AFAIK...
If you look at their $180 biscuit jointer, it's obvious that it's a DeWalt 672... I was at Orchard Supply (the cheap place to buy Craftsman) looking at sabre/jig saws and they actually had them displayed WITH the Skill brand ones... one quick look at each model side by side and you could see that they were Skill with different labels..