Craftsman Radial arm saw cost?

I am drooling over a craftman radial arm saw at the pawn shop down the street. I would guess it has a 3 or 4 foot table, maybe larger, with 6 or

8 drawers underneath. They want 200 but I suspect 125 would do it..... it that a fair price?

LLB

Reply to
LLBrown

bob kater

I pick up a lot of good tools at pawn shops. I always spend time checking everything out and running the motor. Prices can be a whole lot lower than what they're listed as. I usually ask myself what it's worth to me and make an offer. I picked up a $350 router for $80 and it runs better than any power tool I have. It was marked at $150. I also picked up a $240 plate jointer for $75. It was marked as $125.

Some people will complain that pawn shops have stolen tools but the laws are a lot tighter than they used to be. In the last 3 states I've lived in, the law states that an ID is required to pawn something. The store owner has to make a written record of your identity also. Stolen goods are more likely to show up at flea markets and e-bay these days.

Reply to
dcamron71

Most of the time I am looking for used Musical instruments. I know that sometimes they are stolen... there are cases where they really couldn't be much else. The problem is that schools don't like to report instruments as "stolen" it makes the directors look bad... instead they are "missing". Missing things don't get police reports and so they show up in pawn shops with no problems. At that point I just look at the price... if I don't buy it someone else will.

Reply to
LLBrown

I would offer $125 and walk away if they don't budge. Then go back next week and offer again. I bought a Porter Cable router this way, one of the big 3HP models. It took 4 weeks, but I got my price! Most pawn shops will haggle on price, more so if the item has been there a while. I bought a used Sears radial arm saw years ago, I figure now I paid too much for it. I would save my money for a table saw if it comes down to the choice of one or the other. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I see them on Craig's List all the time for anywhere from $125-200. It depends on the motivation of the seller more than condition judging from the photos I saw.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Greg, I have used both and for me, and maybe me alone, I find the radial arm saw much eaiser to use... it cuts right where I want it to cut and gives me a "dry run" before I crank down the blade. Most of the people on the list feel the way you do about the 2 saws.

Regards, Leonard

Reply to
LLBrown