Is there anything that can be done to eliminate the idiots that post to this site that arent wood working related.

Is there a way to start a group that we could have some control over so these posteds could be banned.

Reply to
Howard

Sure - start one:

1) Get/buy/rent the necessary computer facilities and network bandwidth. 2) Setup the mailing list manager 3) Administer it for each and every excruciating admin request for hundreds or even thousands of users. 4) Listen to people beef that it isn't perfect enough to suit them

Having BTDT myself, I decided life was too short to waste on doing nice things for other people who don't appreciate it anyway.

P.S. Off topic posts are the norm for most usenet groups. Most of us who do such posting (or in my case reply to them) are pretty good about marking a post as "OT" - learn to use a filter to get rid of such messages if they offend you so much.

On behalf of "the idiots" everywhere, I remain,

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Howard wrote in news:4512e2f6-5d07-44d4-b645- snipped-for-privacy@w4g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

There's the moderated, almost no traffic, alt.woodworking. The only way to gain control is to stop using Google Groups to read Usenet, and find a provider that either filters, or provides NNTP access. You'll then be responsible for filtering yourself.

Filtering works.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You could start a Google Group or you could start filtering. For example, let's say that you filtered out Robatoy in April of 2004. By now you would have been spared nearly 1,000 (one thousand) off topic posts and responses to off topic posts. It's not too late. Get that filter going.

Reply to
nogogogogo