Craftsman Radial Arm Saw

Does anyone know where I can get the router and drill attachment for my old Craftsman 10 Inch Accra-Arm Radial Saw?
Both should still be available at Sears. I noticed the router bit attachment on the rack in my local store just 2 weeks ago (last time I was there). The drill chuck is even more common and should be even easier to find. I bought one of these off the rack at Sears last year with no problem. All Craftsman radial arm saws use the same part numbers, which is why they are still available. In my opinion neither part is very useful though. The saw's motor doesn't turn fast enough to get good results with a router bit and unless you plan on using a buffer or something with the drill chuck it isn't very useful either. It's a very difficult way to drill holes.
--
Charley

"V" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I second this reply. I have an RAS and bought the router attachment many years ago. The 3400 ish rpm is just too slow. This is a result of the motor being designed to be direct drive and so spins at a speed designed for the blade.
In addition the RAS deflection under load can result in inconsistent results.
There are times I would like my RAS carriage to hold a router, and I have come close to "converting" my RAS by removing the motor and building a carriage, but have not gone beyond the pondering stage.
I recommend a regular router. Even a cheapo router will likely provide better results than this inconceived attempt to have the RAS do something for which it is not designed.
Some time ago Hitachi used to have an RAS whose motor spun at 15 or 17K and so was possible to use with a router attachment. The blade was then geared down to the normal 3400 ish rpm.
Dave Paine.

I agree with the router part; 3400rpm is too slow to do anything useful. But I have use the drill several time as a horizontal boring machine. It drilled holes I don't think I could have gotten any other way; at least not with the same precision/ease.. I bought a plain old chuck at a garage sale for a couple bucks; luckily it fit the RAS. I don't know what the thread is, but is pretty standard and should be readily available.
V wrote:

Ebay would be a good start. Scott.
No luck on Ebay or Sears. Sears was able to find the saw, but the parts person laughed when he found out it was made in 1954. Oh well, it still cuts like a champ, and has one of the most powerfull and quietest motors I've ever used.
Thanks, V
Scott wrote:

V wrote:

Do yourself a favor and buy a decent router
LdB
I have a good router. I only wanted it because I got the saw for $100 bucks and with it's ability to bet set in tons of positions I figured I could use it as shaper to make mortises.