Craftsman new hybrid saws on sale

Page 2 of 2
This thread is very encouraging. I'll probably be ready to upgrade my TS in the next year or two. I need to get a new mountain bike too though...
Anyway, has anybody heard if Grizzly has a hybrid on the way?
I'm hoping for one at a good price (I love my Griz 14" BS). Either way, I'm going to need to get into Sears to take a look at these saws. Very encouraging. I'm not anti-Craftsman, but my only Craftsman stuff is farly old. My TS is a 1979 Craftsman contractor's saw, and works well enough for me to keep it for the last 6 years as I got into this hobby.
-Mike
Gus wrote:

22124
extra
calmly ranted:

AFAIK, nobody has a hybrid tablesaw/mountain bike for sale, but it _certainly_ won't be Searz who comes out with one if one is built some day.
-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT? --------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Sin-free Website Design
Larry Jaques wrote:

my
Is the signal to noise ratio always this low on rec.woodworking?
Gus
Gus wrote:

Pretty much.
Gus wrote:

What was that? You're breaking up.
Sorry, had the dust collector on, running the planer on 8" oak planks, wearing my earmuffs.
Wait, my ears are still ringing. Get back to me in a couple days. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
-Mike
I just bought the 22124 and mobile base. With C-club, sale and delivery $789.99 before tax and am waiting on a $60.00 rebate. I looked at Delta & General (local dealer) and read all I could on Grizzly and Powermatic. I'm graduating from 25yrs with a Shopsmith and cannot believe how much easier a big, stays in place table, is to use. I've been doing woodworking for 25 yrs, but since I'm not a pro, I probably have 1 yr experience repeated 25 times!
3 horse, 3 belts are probably bare minimums for a cabinet shop but too much for me. What sold me was Sear's, try it; see if you like it policy. And so far, I like it. The blade/table alignment was perfect out of the box. The fence cursor screw holes didn't match up, but Bessy says they will send a new replacement. The Sears guys put mine right in the shop for me.
I do have 1 question though. Are all cabinet saws quiet? My neighbor has a Sears contractor saw and a friend has a JET saw and I have a Shopsmith. It is impossible to talk over the noise of either. This 22124 is so quiet ripping oak that you can speak normally. Scary actually!
bladeburner wrote:

My contractor's saw is that quiet. Maybe it's all relative. I graduated from a screaming universal motor contraption that made every bit of the same racket whethere there was a blade on the arbor or not. Now all I hear is the gentle whisking of carbide ripping through the air. It was kind of unsettling at first.
spam.invalid says...

Induction motors are much quieter than universal motors and their associated gearboxes. But what you might be sensing between these saws is the blade. In my limited experience, the thin kerf baldes are noisier cutting than the conventional, full thickness blade.
George Pontis notes:

Yes, but the Craftsman blade is a Leitz variable pitch--means the teeth and gullets vary in size more than in most--thin kerf. The overall blade design does make it quiet, though, and the saw itself is very quiet.
Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell