Craftsman Compucarver Machine

Page 3 of 4
I spent 1 yr. in university engineering, then two at a college with honors to get a licence to use AutoCAD and MasterCAM. Think they're using Pro/E at that top C now. I wasted my time, but I understood everything you said, and could definetely pick it up. I bet you're scratching your head as to what to do if you get sick! Pretty deep waters, and deep pockets needed. a few simple leasons in AutoCAD is one thing (well worth it if you can get it), but it is out of hand. If you need people you could try one of those small independant schools. I went there. They have social assistance people, and workers' comp, insurance, etc. And new to Canadas. Not many places, but everyone was already proficient w/ Pro/E
-
oh ya, my point was, they were mostly out of work engineers who knew what they were doing. stuck, some, i guess. Given th ealternatives, a good option, if not the only one.
-
I was thinking of the Pro/E CAD stream. It was full of engineers, a lot licensed in other countries, some just out of U of T. Pro/E is huge for all things without a brand name. GM is unigraphics, SDRC is Ford, Crysler is CATIA I think. CAD/CAE/anything. There are dozens, hundreds of apps in Pro/E such as Pro Piping, Pro nc, Pro Electrical for all. Not for the faint of heart. Few would know nc where I went to learn Pro/E, but there are independant schools with just that, specific to maching/codes/CAM. The Pro/E course I took was full days for 3 months, and with no syllabus, a waste for anyone not at engineering level, or a full knowledge of Pro/Ealready - me. Prob. 5 digit price. I didn't take high school seriously until grade 11 is my deduction. I need one, no excuses. My 25 credite colllege course-honours (vs. 40 in University engineering) however was my speed, with courses in CAD or CAD/CAM, math, theory and practical, several hand written G-code credits, and G-code/ CAD/CAM applications such as creating jigs and fixtures. I have several 1-1/2" binders full of hundreds of just hand written programs ,with all supporting documentation, and tabbed into projects. Easier for open book exams. In exams we hand to create complete G-codes for parts and were allowed to use sub-routines and whatever machines. Anyways, if there is such a thing as an out of work, work for cheap, capable, trustworthy, reliable, go-getter ready to go, that knows machining/codes (in wood) fire everyone. Keep in mind though that proven in a big study involving the big engineering universtities MIT, etc.. "85% of engineers are in business" after 7 to 10 years, and those that aren't consider themselves the least succesful. I learned what that means by working in such a company. In an established company with several divisions, they put their license on the line regularly by just seeing the paperwork of shipping/receiving, suppliers, purchase orders and reading and signing off on business. They are also whio talks to the big cheese, goes to meetings, and takes all engineering technical investigations... The guys I saw weren't there, or couldn't get back there, for whatever reason. Or you could put an add in the paper and see who'll take it.
-
, subprogram linking
-
bent wrote:
| I bet you're scratching your head as to what to do if | you get sick! Pretty deep waters, and deep pockets | needed.
Strange you should put it that way. In August and September I was fighting a case of shingles (started at the back of my neck and followed the nerves over the top of my head to settle in and around my left eye - ugly!) and found myself working one-eyed in the shop. Work slowed considerably; but didn't (couldn't) stop.
With no pockets at all, if I get really sick, then I'll either get better or punch out. Either way, it becomes a non-problem - and worry doesn't make the deep waters any less deep.
Still scratching my head...
# Fred # wrote:

Now if you were on a Mac . . .
I do all my diagrams, line art illustrations and other drawings with an application called SuperPaint from Aldus (bought out by Adobe). The last upgrade, the one I still use, was copyrighted 1993! Now granted I have to use "legacy mode" - I think that's what it's called, when running OS X, but I can still use it. That's four major OS updates (6-10) and it's been on a Quadra 630 - a 68040 cpu and now on a G3 - that's four cpu upgrades.
Am keeping the G# just in case the new duo Macs won't handle SuperPaint.
charlie b
charlie b wrote:

I thought I recognized the artwork you posted the otherday (your shop layout) as something from a Classic mac environment. SuperPaint was a staple in my toolbox for many years. I did buy into MiniCAD in 1988. (M the 'Mini', as in MiniCAD, is actually a moniker from the 'mini' computers which were basically the size of a washer/dryer combo) After many of us complained to the company, Nemetschek ( http://www.nemetschek.net/ ) they ended up changing the name to Vectorworks. After the program became dongled and pricey, and they wanted just too much for upgrades, I decided to keep a G3 (Blue & White) just for MiniCAD 7. Vectorworks has all the balls of AutoCAD which is even pricier. It is a great modeller too with fabulous rendering abilities. For a fantastic freebie, look into Google's Sketch-Up. (Native OSX) For quickies, I used MacDraw for the longest time.

I ran an 840AV for years and years. I just loved that thing. It took a G3 to tear me away from it.

(Ethernetted to my G4) because sometimes I need a font or something.
Now I am awaiting Jobs' announcement before I hit the 'Put In My Basket' button. Maybe he'll release Leopard tomorrow, that way I won't have to buy it in the spring.
May the Farce be with you.

"Classic", properly.

The Intel Macs won't run Classic, I'm using a program called "Sheepshaver" to run OS 9.0.4 on my Intel iMac.

# Fred # wrote:

This is highly unlikely. The vast majority of windows software these days is either win32 based or dotnet based. None of that is changing between XP and vista.

This is a driver issue. Drivers are written by the manufacturer, not microsoft. In this case, there aren't any windows drivers to worry about since the software isn't controlling the device directly.
brian
On Thu, 4 Jan 2007 22:21:54 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Elliott) wrote:

There was a thread on this about a week ago. It's a rebranded item, have a look at:
http://www.carvewright.com /
I dled the trial software and it seemed to me like it was more about combining pre-existing patterns than creating new ones, but didn't really get into it.
-Leuf

You are the man. In the commercial they make some indication about being able to demo the software but in typical Sears practice it's nowhere to be seen on their website.
My only question is why is the software a demo? What would you do with it without the machine. Kind of dumb.
Thanks for the information,

I have not seen the Compucarver in the flesh. It strikes me however, a woodworker could buy a lot more useful tools for $1.900. Unless one has a dedicated use for such a machine I suspect it will land up in a dark corner of the shop accumulating a good coat of dust. Joe G Elliott wrote:

I can see some uses for this, especially for someone who has no artistic ability. I played around with the software some, you can import images and create your own. Of course, if you don't have the artistic ability in the first place...
Overall I wouldn't spend that kind of money on this machine.
Fri, Jan 5, 2007, 11:12pm snipped-for-privacy@me.net (Panic) doth sayeth: I can see some uses for this, especially for someone who has no artistic ability. I played around with the software some, you can import images and create your own. Of course, if you don't have the artistic ability in the first place..<snip>.
Ah. In other words, an Etch-A-Sketch for wood.
JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also. - Igor Stravinsky
Mon, Jan 8, 2007, 10:08pm snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com (bent) did burble: This is not in reference to you, but I am getting totally sick of people complaining about responding directly to them. Its an imperfect world. I can't even begin to explain this. Maybe I should do a terse thread. This thread is 30 messages long, and half way down its indented all th eway to the right then goes back again. If people are not respomding one after the other, how did it get this tangent. <snip of the rest>
Either you're just not getting it, or you're a troll in training. I decided to read some the posts following, before replying; you totally lost all credibility, as far as I'm concerned.
JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also. - Igor Stravinsky
do I really need this?
-
bent wrote:

How much repeat carving are you going to do.
Yes I am a smart ass.
Weird sense of humor too.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
can you remind all that this is either serious, or humorous, and not to confuse the two, or me with all this extra crap. I have no trouble dealing with all three, or a combination. None is a little to extreme, even for me.
Lives of great men all remind us We may make our lives sublime But in parting leave behind us Footprints in the sands of time
-

Big problem is that the only one who knows what or who you are replying to is you. No quoting, no context for others.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618