CPOworkshop.com Experience

Page 1 of 8
I ordered a piece of machinery "in stock for next day delivery", my credit card was charged and I was emailed 5 days later that my item is expected to ship in about 3 months (a date was given). I mainly share this because CPO is a major 3rd party seller at Amazon.com.
I was told, they "have trouble keeping their web site up-to-date". This is evidently the truth because after a week, the item is still listed as in stock at Amazon and on their site. I ordered a digital keyboard on line once and had to maintain the same sort of patience.
In any event, be cautious who you order from if you are in a hurry. I'm saving a few bucks, and the wait is not a meaningful inconvenience in my situation--but it could have been.
Bill
"Bill" wrote:

Cold day in hell a supplier charges my credit card prior to shipment.
Lew

I agree.
Further it isn't very ethical to charge before the item ships especially since there is a three month wait. It is ethical to charge a deposit if it is a special order item.
You might want to reconsider the "good price" if they are already playing games. The story on "website troubles" along with the above makes it suspect.
Allen

AMEN! Bill needs to have a word with the CC company.

Bill wrote:

Check with your credit card company. Though not illegal, it's against Visa's and MasterCard's policies for a vendor to apply charges before an item ships.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

I'll write them a note and see what happens. I like the idea of paying later, because I get a set amount of warranty coverage via my credit card. I got a pretty good price and I don't want to lose that.
Thanks (you and Lew), Bill
Bill wrote:

There's a sucker born every minute.
Lew
Not sure about legality of advance charging a credit card by such a long period of time, but I believe the Fair Credit Billing Act does make it illegal to not ship within the advertised time. I would definitely ask the vendor to cancel or credit back the charges until the item is actually available. If they don't, your credit card company certainly will after you explain to them.
It is to the vendor's advantage to issue the credit themselve's as I understand it; the cc company charges a fee to the vendor when they do a chargeback to the vendor's account.
Larry W wrote:

I'm not sure about the Fair Credit Billing Act. My credit card company did not mention it. And he said that it was not for them, the bank, to dictate how a merchant does business. Unless I'm willing to file a "dispute", for non-delivery for instance, there's nothing they can do if I still want the item I ordered. He pointed out that I'm free to notify the BBB, etc. FWIW, I (hoping to be) getting an item that normally goes for $550-600 online for $450. If I cancelled my order, I'd probably end up paying a higher price, so I'll wait.
Bill

Here's a link to the Fair Credit Billing Act. I am not a lawyer, but, in spite of its length, it does NOT contain the word "ship".
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcb/fcb.pdf
Bill
Bill wrote:

Of course, meant to say "despite" its length.

"Bill" wrote:

"Madam, we know what you are, we are simply negotiating price".
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Yep. Amazon.com's wait time is 7 or 8 weeks and their price is $100 higher. It's not like the world is full of suppliers for the consumer market... I might venture to guess that if you order through Rockler or Woodcraft, where they says "ships from the manufacturer" that you stand in the same line and end up getting your order from the same company.
Bill
I wrote:

"Bill" wrote:

Does Amazon also charge your card 7-8 weeks prior to shipment?
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

The way I was brought up, you're supposed to be willing to walk a mile for a C-note if you're fortunate enough to have the opportunity. When I was 12, I delivered newspapers at 5:00 in the morning for 3 or 4 cents a piece--even in electrical storms and deep snow! And, I didn't whine about it! You kids...think this is the land of milk and honey... :)
Bill
"Bill" wrote:

Relevance?
Lew
On 11/12/2010 2:00 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Your earlier post suggested I was "getting screwed", and that may be possible depending on your definitions. However, I'm willing to hand over $450 to them now in exchange for their promise to deliver a DP in 3 months compared to handing over $550 in exchange for a DP 3 months from now. You evidently would be willing to pay the extra $100 (25% here) in exchange for doing business on your terms. I have a more difficult time justifying that luxury for myself while interest rates are near 0%. The CC-bank said they would still be behind me (if I should need them) 3 months from now.
Bill
"Bill" wrote:

There is a guy who has some swamp land over in Arizona who has a deal for you.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

If this was just an e-bay seller, I wouldn't make the same concessions. I have a little gamble in me, and think I'm going to win $100. You gave up gambling since your pool-shooting days? There was a country singer, George Strait maybe, who used to since about "ocean front property in Ar-iz-on-a". I'm holding out for that--less crocs! : )
Bill
Bill wrote:

I looked up CPOworkshop.com at "WhoIs". The domain is registered to "Domains by Proxy, Inc." Looking at their web site the first thing stated is, "Your identity is nobody's business but ours".
https://www.domainsbyproxy.com/Default.aspx
I'd be reluctant to do business with someone who hides who they are.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA