Counter top

Page 7 of 7
Robatoy wrote:

Well, granite isn't flammable in the ordinary sense of the word. Of course, most "granite" countertops aren't granite, they are "granitic" rock. Which also isn't flammable in the ordinary sense of the word.
The man made ones with mineral particles - they also aren't flammable in the ordinary sense of the word - hold the particles together with plastic, acrylic often, and I'm guessing the plastic is flammable. Not much of it in the material though.
The non-particle ones like Corian have a Class 1A flammability rating. They are just *barely* in it, one more point less and they would be Class 2.

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces_Commercial/en_US/assets/downloads/pdfs/Corian_Technical_Bulletins/Corian_Flammability_Ratings.pdf
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

http://www2.dupont.com/Surfaces_Commercial/en_US/assets/downloads/pdfs/Corian_Technical_Bulletins/Corian_Flammability_Ratings.pdf
BTW, even though granite isn't going to burn it could melt in a house fire.
--

dadiOH

Its no longer cheap, but I use three quarter inch plywood for my counter tops and seal them and use the nasty contact cement to adhere the Formica or similar brand Laminate. Sealing the bottom edge and rear surface of the back splash (if you use one) against moisture before adhering it (to the counter) with something like 3M 5200 Marine caulk should do the trick.
I've seen these old counter tops come out of a tear down after thirty years and more with nary a bit of evidence of swelling.
But, consider finishing the "drip edge" which is the front of the counter top protruding past the base cabinets with your best waterproofing/sealing stuff esp about the area of the kitchen sink as this is the most vulnerable area.

Thanks for the info from those of you that were willing. Also I apoligize to the innocent people that caught up in the sillyness. I have decided to keep my tools and buld my own counter top! Greg