Counter top height?

I wonder how many countries have standards for such a thing? Tom

Reply to
tom

So, standards vary? I love it! Leave the Bureau of Weights and Measures out of it! But then, there's the disabilities act in America....Tom

Reply to
tom

It varies. A standard table is 30" high, and standard chairs are 18" high. An eating counter could be anywhere from 30" to 42" tall (or taller), and the seating for such a counter should be 12" lower. It basically depends on what secondary function the counter has, e.g. block views of the main counter (42"), worksurface for somebody tall (39"), general counterspace (36"), baking counter and/or worksurface for someone short (33").

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

I believe the standard counter top height in the US is 36". But what is it in other parts of the world? I can't believe that in the metric countries it is an odd number like 0.9144 meters.

When the counter has stools at it and it is mainly used for eating, do people still make them 36" high?

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Okay. Let me call it conventions.

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

It's more likely on the order of 90 cm and the backwards "english" countries just round up.

A bar is typically 42" high.

Reply to
LRod

I have no idea but I'm sure glad you mentioned this...counter height has been a pet peeve with me for years.

I made all my counters 37 1/2". Not much more than the usual 36" kitchen height but it does make a difference. And it makes a *huge* difference with bathroom counters...no more aching back from having to bend over.

The height works for my 5'2" wife too.

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Yes, 36" and stools work fine.

Reply to
Peter Aitken

Chris wrote: They're not "standardized" in terms of building code. These are just the customary heights. Exactly. Tom

Reply to
tom

According to tom :

They're not "standardized" in terms of building code. These are just the customary heights.

Reply to
Chris Lewis