Counter top

Page 3 of 7

In some cases you are correct, but in most, it is impossible to tell any difference. Depends on how it has been handled and frozen too. With all the variable, it is not possible to make a blanket statement either way, IMO.

There has not been a case of trichina worms in commercial pork in decades. In the US, there are about 12 cases a year, usually from wild game. I read that bear has one of the highest incidents of infection. Freezing is one method to kill them too, best is at 0 degrees. I forget the time period needed.
wrote the following:

Can't take a joke, eh? I just don't eat much pork, 'cept totally burnt bacon, any more.
-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine

I wasn't sure. On the food groups it is a question that comes up seriously very often. People are still eating dried out overcooked pork because their grandmother cooked it until dead.
wrote

There is no way to know if the pork you buy in the store came from a large commercial producer or not, a farmer can show up at the packing house with one hog that was raised in bad conditions and they will take it no questions ask as long as it is on its feet.
In the past there were two packing houses in my area, Zeiglers and Bryan. Zeiglers paid top dollar and were very selective in what they would take, Bryans on the other hand, paid much less and would take anything that was still alive.
A trip to sell hogs meant going by Zeiglers, unloading the healthy fat animals and then on to Bryan with the culls, no farmer or his family would buy or eat Bryans products.
basilisk
wrote the following:

You sound as if you trust the commercial producers more than real farmers. Wander on down to the video store and pick up a copy of "Food, Inc." It's an eye-opener which will make you wonder if you'll want to purchase and consume -anything- commercially produced ever again.
E. coli O157:H7 is man-made. When man introduced grain to the cow's stomach, it was a by-product. To remove it from most cattle, it would take only a week of grazing on grass to kill almost all of it. Instead, they spray all our meats with ammonia to kill it. Yum!
-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine
wrote

Nope, didn't mean it that way, I've seen plenty of bad from commercial farms and individual farmers alike.
Your more likely to have parasites in a backyard mud pen than in a commercial operation, but I'm going to cook it and it will taste better than commercial pork, so not a problem.
I wouldn't want anyone to think that their food supply is clean, controlled and inspected in any meaningful way, it isn't. With that said, it doesn't seem to kill all that many people, or not quickly anyway.
I personally don't eat a lot of commercially produced food, (guessing less than 30%) and almost no commercially produced meat, what I don't raise is sourced locally from others that do.
basilsik
wrote the following:

Amazing, isn't it? The human body is quite strong and resilient.

Good move!
-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine

That may happen in a small independent store, but it is not going to happen in chain store. No way they would take the risk buying a single hog from a stranger. Commercial hogs are raised in factory conditions. A fellow I know has been doing some work for a hog butchering place in Iowa. They slaughter 18,000 hogs every 12 hour day. Then they spend six or more hours with a 200 man crew cleaning and sanitizing. Those hogs never saw a real farm.

With SERIOUS biohazard security measures. Hog barns are a LOT cleaner and safer than hospitals.
On Tue, 04 May 2010 21:47:31 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Oh?
http://www.firehouse.com/topics/top-headlines/man-killed-fumes-minn-hog-barn or http://fwd4.me/Mps
http://erj.ersjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/31/6/1249
-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine

Apparently standards in the US are much lower than here in Canada.

wrote the following:

I used to drive through Norco, CA on the way to COMDEX every year. I'd have to turn off my ventilation system and hold my breath for a couple miles while I passed the pig farms there. You won't want to eat pork again after you've smelled the production farms, bubba. They're ten times worse than chicken ranches, and chicken shit really reeks.

With bacon, it tastes much better that way, super crisp and more smoky flavored. I always tell the waitress to have the cook BURN THE BACON. Only two have so far in the past 3 decades. <sigh> About 25% get it right, though. Some think an extra 4 seconds on the griddle is "burnt". Go figure.
-- All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit. --Thomas Paine
wrote

Some people like their steaks with the Moo still in it but I prefer not to see any blood. I have one exception but otherwise I prefer my meat to be dead.
Max
Larry Jaques:

Interesting article. http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Thaw-counter.html
I allow anything that will be cooked in a short time (steaks, fish, chicken breasts) to come to room temperature before cooking otherwise you can end up with a center that is cooked less than you intended.
following:

Very interesting. I'll still thaw underwater, though. It's the quickest and easiest, and it still feels like the safest.
-- Work and struggle and never accept an evil that you can change. -- Andre Gide
On Sun, 2 May 2010 08:47:21 -0600, the infamous "Max"

In a northern state, Oregano, and that's figurative ice, Max.

Fry eggs on it, eh?
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist
, the infamous "Max" scrawled the following:

Fry eggs, bake bread, roast turkeys, But as the turkey *once* said, "It's a dry heat".
Max
Larry Jaques wrote:

<snip>
Tile, especially grout, sucks.
Lew

Is it the grout lines? They get dirty? I use either a contrasting color (in the case of light colored tile) or a dark color with dark tile. *And* I seal the grout with (silicone sensitive, hide your eyes) silicone. Works for me.
Max