Counter Sink Bit

Page 1 of 2
I already have a couple of those Craftsman combocounter sink bits (i.e. with a drill bit) that came with a drill bit set, but I was looking for a decent counter sink bit by itself, for wood (and plastic). I didn't locate any by Craftsman. From reading some reviews there appears to be some "junk" out there. I suppose 1/2" will be fine until I need something larger. Any last second advise on this purchase?
Thanks, Bill

I bought this one a few years back. Works very well. http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?pA012&cat=3,41306,41328
Then, I bought this set so I could counter sink in tighter areas. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pp967&cat=1,180,42240,42281
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Thank you very much. That is helpful.
Bill
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

with 6 flutes and there is no comparison.
--
 GW Ross

 I'm as confused as a baby in a
G. Ross wrote:

I was wondering about that detail. Thank you for sharing your experience. Also thank you to the others that provided me leads to other bits (I saved them for present and future reference!)
Bill
On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 04:27:57 -0500, none wrote:

That'a the one I use the most. If I've only got one or two holes to do, I've got a similar but smaller one that I keep mounted in an antique eggbeater drill.
"Bill" wrote:

W W Grainger or McMaster Carr.
Lew
On 1/2/2014 9:21 PM, Bill wrote:

Like these:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?pp967&cat=1,180,42240,42281
Pat Barber wrote:

Yes Pat, that's a set I would like to get. The web site indicates they are sold out, but I will look for them at The Woodworking Shows in 2 weeks.
Bill

I'm curious why one would want a set of these when a single bit, similar to the one others have recommended, could do the job?
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Because they could help create a cylindrically-shaped hole, if desired (perhaps for use with a "plug"), rather than just a conically-shaped hole.
Bill

But wouldn't that require multiple plug cutters to cover the different diameters?
Gordon Shumway wrote:

Gordon, You don't even have to plug the holes if you don't to. I was just illustrating how they are two *different* tools (you asked, why not just buy one?).
Bill
On 1/6/2014 5:15 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

The Lee Valley counter sinks are not designed for plugs, you would need these for plugs:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p2334&cat=1,180,42240
Often times, the hole doesn't really need a plug, just a flush fit for the screw head.
On 1/7/2014 10:51 AM, Pat Barber wrote:

Those are for wood screws, not drywall screws. Most of us use dry wall screws today. For those a straight bit is required, not a tapered.
I have a set of both, tapered and straight.
I rarely use wood screws anymore, I do when it is necessary, or more accurate.
Take a look at the snappy brand. http://www.snappytools.com/products/csink.asp
--
Jeff

On 1/7/2014 9:58 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Really, do you believe that?
On 1/7/2014 11:46 AM, Leon wrote:

Yes I do. I said most. I didn't say all. I think if you took a survey you would not find tapered wood screws in use for 90% of the people.
I think you will find DRY WALL (LIKE) screws most of the time. While they don't have to be drywall screws, they are straight shanked screws that are drywall like.
There is that better? ;-0
--
Jeff

Not really; you've expressed nothing but personal opinion. If you'd limited your statement to "they won't work for me, because I use drywall screws instead of wood screws", there would be no complaints.
As I use wood screws, I (and apparently Leon), don't fall into your assumptive "most of us" categeory.
On 1/7/2014 12:29 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

That's correct. MOST OF US is NOT ALL OF US!! But I'm pretty sure MOST OF US DO USE A DRY WALL TYPE OF SCREW.. STRAIGHT SHANKED OVER TAPERED. Since you don't, you're not most of us, and I already knew that about you.
--
Jeff

You've still shown no evidence, just assertion. What's your background to make such an assertion?