Counter Sink Bit

You've still shown no evidence, just assertion. What's your background to make such an assertion?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Well you got me there Scott. I just pulled it out of my ass.

Reply to
woodchucker

All of you just stop already.

The guy meant "straight shank" screw. He said drywall screw but obviously was talking about straight vs. tapered and used a lousy example.

And you, quit digging the whole deeper. Just admit you used poor wording when using drywall screw as an example of a straight shank screw. Because anyone who uses a drywall screw in woodworking is using very poor judgment. Drywall screws are for drywall and are way to brittle for woodworking.

Reply to
-MIKE-

My concern was with using drywall screws for woodworking. I used dry wall screws back in the early 80's and then discovered, for woodworking, that they were an improvement over the cheesy screws you find at the local BORG but lacked in strength and size for furniture building.

Reply to
Leon

My biggest question was with your original comment of most of us using dry wall screws. I'm not doubting that probably most of us don't use the tapered wood screw but until you later clarified a dry wall "type" screw and referring to the shape of the screw, I was not so sure.

Reply to
Leon

LOL, thank you Mike. Exactly the point I was trying to clarify.

Reply to
Leon

You have to realize that our straight shank screws came from drywall. The screws for furniture were stil tapered. Way more screws are used for drywall than furniture, so it is the technology from the drywall screw that drove the other wood threaded types of fasteners... the threads being much sharper , deeper, and less prone to splitting. The old taper had the problem of splitting wood often. If you didn't drill with a tapered bit to the correct depth you wound up with a split from too short a pilot hole, or too loose a screw since the taper was too wide because you drove it too deep.

I still occasionally use a tapered screw, but I prefer not to.

Reply to
woodchucker

Thank you! This thread has suggested a range of tools and possibilities with counter sink bits. I found it really interesting.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

OK, you are missing my point. You did not originally mention screws that resembled dry wall screws, you mentioned specifically drywall screws. After I took exception that most of us use drywall screws you changed your comment to dry wall "like". That i some what agree on, although.....

Dry wall screws specifically are much too brittle and small in diameter to be acceptable for furniture building. This is the point I was trying to make.

I am going to assume dry wall and or the drywall screws were not around in the 1800's.

Having said that straight shank gimlet point screws were patented as early as 1846 by the Eagle Screw Company.

So perhaps today's straight shank screws did not come from drywall.

Reply to
Leon

So correct.... but he kept digging anyway. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I tried to help you out of that hole, but you kept digging. Want another shovel? :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

Not really, it's not the straight shank alone, it's the rolled threads that made the straight shank really workable. it's got more strength and is really the big deal.

But fine if you want to say I am a total idiot and didn't know what I was referring to, I have no problem.

Reply to
woodchucker

I use drywall screws for drywall, but wood no I do not them use as they rust and break.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

----------------------------------------------------- SFWIW

Use coarse thread deck screws for temporary structures such as mockups.

Use S/S, coarse thread self tapping sheet metal screws for fiberglass assemblies and furniture applications.

Since only a few sizes are req'd, buying 100 pc boxes is not a problem and helps keep costs in line.

Fine thread dry wall screws stay on the shelf at Home depot.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

---------------------------------------------- "Mike Marlow" wrote:

-------------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett wrote:

They are.

Check out 1-5/8", coarse thread pric>> Use S/S, coarse thread self tapping sheet metal screws for

It's not worth stock>> Since only a few sizes are req'd, buying 100 pc boxes is not

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett