Could you whack an inch off?

Page 1 of 3
I spend hours getting my Stickley reproduction designs as exact as possible, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of very small round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use as a plant stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried and true) that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birthday.
His wife says "Hey great, we can use it as a stool in the shower!" I help them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment.
Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?"
Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-(
On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:49:14 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

There are entirely too many people out there like that! Next time give him a board with a recess routed in it and call it a picture frame. You could even mount a picture of your table in it :-).
carrying a cross.
On 10/1/2012 7:57 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Along the same lines, I built something with beautiful highly figured wood and gave it as a house warming gift to a friend and his wife.
She said, didn't you have any better wood. I explained that the beautiful figure was highly prized and treasured. She said it would be better if it were just plain brown.
On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 19:04:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

We all aspire to be the valued artist ~ the one that gets paid $$$ for whatever we make and no matter how it turns out.
<<snip>>

And did you miss the part where he said that it was GIVEN as a GIFT? Not as a commission, but something from his heart and hands?
A proverb comes to mind about a gift and looking into the mouth of said gift.
just a thought
On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 19:02:16 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

And since I do it as a hobby, I can be as arrogant as I wish :-).
But yes, when I do something for someone who's paying for it, I either do it their way or not at all.
carrying a cross.
On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 19:02:16 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

And since I do it as a hobby, I can be as arrogant as I wish :-).
But yes, when I do something for someone who's paying for it, I either do it their way or not at all.
carrying a cross.
On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 19:02:16 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

And since I do it as a hobby, I can be as arrogant as I wish :-).
But yes, when I do something for someone who's paying for it, I either do it their way or not at all.
carrying a cross.
On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 20:48:03 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

Mutter, mumble, #$@% Comcast, grumble. Honest, I only posted it once :-).
carrying a cross.

Welcome to the world of discerning craftsmen operating in an increasingly fickle culture. To make a living at it, you must give the customer what they want, and not reason why ... whack away, Bubba!
--
www.ewoodshop.com

On 10/1/2012 7:11 PM, Swingman wrote:

On 10/1/2012 9:52 PM, Richard wrote:

Then don't give up your day job ... a _custom_er getting what he thinks he wants, even if it's "whacked off" legs and stained puce pink, is what keeps him away from Ikea, and paying you instead.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 10/2/2012 12:06 PM, Swingman wrote:

On Monday, October 1, 2012 5:11:18 PM UTC-7, Swingman wrote:
I don't build-to-suit. I build what I love and if people want to buy it that is nice.
On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 12:30:51 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

So you build basically for enjoyment, not to earn a living. I'm sure there's many who would envy you.

Stickley reproduction designs as exact as> possible, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of> very small round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use> as a plant stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried> and true) that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birthday.> > His wife says "Hey great, we can use it as a stool in the shower!" I help> them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment.> > Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your> stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off> of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?"> > Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-( Welcome to the world of discerning craftsmen operating in an increasingly fickle culture. To make a living at it, you must give the customer what they want, and not reason why ... whack away, Bubba! -- www.ewoodshop.com

BIG plus 1

Great, when it works. Good luck to you, and hold tight to that day job ....
--
www.ewoodshop.com

[...]

Eventually you will love to build other styles, as odd as they seem. I started off building what the customer wanted, never have had any one pass up what I built.
On Monday, October 1, 2012 6:49:14 PM UTC-5, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

And now your buddy wants you to modify parts of the design, for someone else. Only for a hefty fee, if at all!
Sonny
SonomaProducts.com wrote:

measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of very small round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use as a plant stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried and true) that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birthday.

to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?"

I'm sorry to read your sad story. I like Sonny's idea--it may help him appreciate what he had been given.
Bill in iN