Could you whack an inch off?

And since I do it as a hobby, I can be as arrogant as I wish :-).

But yes, when I do something for someone who's paying for it, I either do it their way or not at all.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

And did you miss the part where he said that it was GIVEN as a GIFT? Not as a commission, but something from his heart and hands?

A proverb comes to mind about a gift and looking into the mouth of said gift.

just a thought

Reply to
Mike

Great, when it works. Good luck to you, and hold tight to that day job ....

Reply to
Swingman

Stickley reproduction designs as exact as > possible, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of > very small round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use > as a plant stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried > and true) that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birthday. > > His wife says "Hey great, we can use it as a stool in the shower!" I help > them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment. > > Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your > stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off > of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?" > > Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-( Welcome to the world of discerning craftsmen operating in an increasingly fickle culture. T o make a living at it, you must give the customer what they want, and not reason why ... whack away, Bubba! --

Eventually you will love to build other styles, as odd as they seem. I started off building what the customer wanted, never have had any one pass up what I built.

Reply to
Leon

If it's for the personal satisfaction only you can tell 'em it's what it is (not that you _can't_ otherwise; it's just a _very_ difficult business model).

If one is in an actual business it's sometimes a hard lesson to swallow. Years and years ago I moved from doing custom work of that sort also as a sideline but w/ intention as young pup just out of school to make some extra cash to the architectural stuff I've spoken of before in Lynchburg, VA in large part because it was more fun to be able to restore/repair/replace the excellent work found in those old houses than it was to build the stuff that would sell (that was in my skill set of the time, at least :) ).

As a popular bumper sticker here in SW KS farm country says, "Farming without a profit motive is gardening". The sentiment has to hold for any vocation--vision is nice but it may not pay the bills.

--

Reply to
dpb

I just added up the number of "whack an inch off" items in this thread.... If you cut off the cumulative number of inches from the table/stool the seat will be on the floor thus saving you the time and trouble of making legs and stretchers... ;~)

His wife says "Hey great, we can use it as a stool in the shower!" I help them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment.

Now a few weeks later I get an email. "Hey I want to give one of your stools to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?"

Maybe I can get him something from Ikea. He won't know the difference. :-(

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Just don't put your name on it.

Reply to
jo4hn

Mutter, mumble, #$@% Comcast, grumble. Honest, I only posted it once :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of very small round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use as a plant stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried and true) that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birthday.

understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment.

to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off of the legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven floor?"

I had forgotten you were genuinely in the business. I saw this at your web site, associated with some of your kits:

"You are given the unfinished components with all of the complex milling already completed, clear and extensive plans and step-by-step instructions and all the necessary hardware. We also provide numerous fool-proof finishing techniques and recipes that anyone can perform in their home shop, garage or shed."

Maybe the friend you gifted your table to read that? I can understand a little better how he might have been confused by your ambiguous attitude now. Personally, FWIW, I have a lot of respect for your work!

Cheers, Bill

Reply to
Bill

I figured about 2 people here earn their living from their wood shop. One of them, and I felt sorry for him, was SonomaProducts. Now I find out he earns his living otherwise, and does this stuff more as a hobby. So I was off by about one, possibly two, and, since it's his hobby, I don't have to feel sorry for him. In other words, about no one here is a farmer, most are "just gardeners".

I've found over the years to only make what you want, not much else unless it is for a very, very good friend, then do it for friendship, not money. Few on earth can afford to pay me what I want to make something I *want* to make, let alone something I *don't* want to make, and also be dumb enough to pay that much. Those prices require artistic perfection, something few attain.

How much is it worth to turn a hobby into work?

Reply to
Jack

le, measuring from eBay photos and Stickley catlogs. I did a run of very sm= all round tables, in Cherry (not classic). Something you might use as a pla= nt stand. I exercise exacting detail. I did an oil finish (tried and true) = that took a few weeks to complete. I give one to a dear friend for his birt= hday.

them understand maybe it won't hold up to the use in a wet environment.

ols to a friend. Do you have another one? Could you whack an inch off of th= e legs and add some adjusters to the bottom in-case they have an uneven flo= or?"

I have built several heavy rocking horses using contrasting hardwoods. I s= pend 80-100 hours on each and I have seen some with similar substance and f= eatures in the $500 and up price range. Two of mine have gone to grandkids= and one to the daughter of a good friend. The other two have been donated= to our church for raffles.

Invariably someone sees one of them and asks the dreaded question: "How mu= ch would it cost for you to build one of those for me? I start off explain= ing that there is nearly $200 worth of hardwood and hardware in the horse. = That is when I get that "over the top of the glasses look" and you can hea= r them thinking "This guy is getting ready to screw me." These people hav= e no clue that with the cost of materials, even if I charged $500, I could = make the big bucks shoving hamburgers across the counter at McDonald's.

They don't have a clue.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Maybe just say you can make the horses for $750, or that you can provide detailed instructions including a material list for $25. Include a list of the required tools too. To be nice, you can even offer to provide assistance over the phone if they run into trouble.

Maybe if you tried eagerly to explain how they could build their own you could close your sales faster! Perhaps don't even provide them a price until they well understand exactly how they could build their own! : )

Good luck (and have fun)! Bill

These people have no clue that with the cost of

Reply to
Bill

Invariably someone sees one of them and asks the dreaded question: "How much would it cost for you to build one of those for me?

-------------------------------------------------- Normally the price is $1,000.00; however, if you are not in a hurry, could probably do one for $750 in about 6 months after receipt of a $500.00 advance deposit.

Keeps out the riff raff.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Mine are not quite in that range. The carousel-type of carved horses do se= ll in the $1,500 and up (way up) range. Mine is a whimsical take-off of ab= out three different patterns I picked up over the years plus about 1/3 my o= wn design. I have a 16" x 44" x 2-1/2" slab of walnut in the garage now an= d I'm pretty sure it contains a horse body. Maple on the top row of my rac= k will make the rockers. Smaller chunks of cherry and Myrtle wood will do = mane, tail and details. Just need to it get going.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

sell in the $1,500 and up (way up) range. Mine is a whimsical take-off of = about three different patterns I picked up over the years plus about 1/3 my= own design. I have a 16" x 44" x 2-1/2" slab of walnut in the garage now = and I'm pretty sure it contains a horse body. Maple on the top row of my r= ack will make the rockers. Smaller chunks of cherry and Myrtle wood will d= o mane, tail and details. Just need to it get going.

A couple of them are here:

RonB

A couple of them are here:

wish to revise my comment.

Discounted selling price: $1,000.00.

Base selling price: $1,500.00.

Anything less and your selling yourself short.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Reply to