Cordless drill choice

Page 2 of 2

At the very least, figure that the initial cost of the drill includes one or two occurrences of the replacement or rebuilding cost of batteries that have died. I'm also sure they figure that newer technology would have taken over a certain time period after that and the owner will upgrade anyway. Lifetime warranty often means only while the product is active in the market. I'm willing to bet this model won't be active fifteen years from now. Hell, it will probably be considered an antique by then.
Can anyone tell that I'm a cynical SOB?

An admirable quality to have.

heh. See sig line...
djb
--
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who
have not got it." -- G.B. Shaw
C & S wrote:
<snip>

"To obtain service for this RIDGID tool under the Lifetime Service Agreement, you must return it to One World Technologies, Inc., attn: RIDGID Hand Held and Stationary Power Tool Technical Service, 1428 Pearman Dairy Rd, Anderson, SC 29625, freight prepaid, or take it to a designated service center. You may obtain the location of the designated service center nearest you by calling (toll free) 1-866-539-1710 or by logging on to www.ridgid.com. Not all authorized RIDGID Brand service centers have been approved to provide service under the Lifetime Service Agreement. When requesting service under the Lifetime Service Agreement, you must present your Lifetime Service Agreement Identification Number and proper personal identification (a valid driver's license, passport, or military I.D. or a valid Social Security card with photo ID). The designated service center will repair or replace any part covered under the Lifetime Service Agreement, at our option, at no charge to you."
See:
http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

You best BE skeptical. They won't honour some of their life-time warranties on their sanders.."because they have been used too much."

Ah, the infamous lifetime of the tool warranty.

A Festool would be superb, but, IME, there is nothing finer than a Fein.

Simple. Festool, Fein, Panasonic, Milwaukee.. in that order.
I'm due for a new impact driver soon....
*shrugs* Dunno, dude...
That's pretty much the concensus here.

Well I went ahead and bought the Panasonic. I just wanted the 12 volt but they didn't have the one with metal-hydride [sp?] batteries in stock and the 15.6 was only $10 more so being the typical pick-up truck driving American I am I thought "if it's only $10 more and it's heavier and more powerful why not?" Now I'll be able to strip out every screw in a drawer glide in moments.
Festool: I just went for this one. http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=2&prodid=PCDD12S Originally thought the excenter and right-angle chuck might come in handy once a year or so. But it turns out I'm using these two quite a lot..
Theo

I didn't knew about Festool, seems quite a machine to me !

I've always liked Makita. Even though you said money isn't the top priority, they have $50 rebates going right now that make some great delas (18V kit, $140 on Amazon).
thanks for the hint !